Why become a member? ×

PA monitoring - using a seperate power amp

Marky L

Wotcha

Quick question about PA monitoring again.

We have a fairly mediocre PA amp/mixer that we use and need to sort out some monitors. We're not going for in ear stuff so no info on that please. We have a couple of 8ohm slave monitors, about 100W each and need to power them (I’ve given up on finding cheap powered wedges). So I reckon on getting a low cost power amp to run the slaves like the Carlsbro spec unit below –

[url="http://www.carlsbro.com/Moreinfo.php?code=PA1760"]http://www.carlsbro.com/Moreinfo.php?code=PA1760[/url]

What I think will work is to run the power amp out of the PA amp/mixer via it’s monitor out connectors to give us the tonal control for the monitors and the power amp will deal with the monitor volumes.

Does this sound right? What do I need to look at? I just want a simple alternative to powered monitors.

Ta
M

Edited by Marky L

i dunno about power amps or anything like that and i know you said you've given up on looking for cheap wedges but i advise looking at Carlsbro powered monitors.

I use Carlsbro power pair EM/PM10. They're a matched pair and work rather damn well.

It does sound right. Whether or not that power amp has enough juice depends on how loud you backline/drummer are. We were using a 150w amp and the vox (x3) just weren't clear. We're now using a 400w powered mixer* and the vocals are a lot clearer through our passive wedges.

*powered mixer rather than power amp just because we had one already.

Thanks

Yup, I'd still like to go for powered wedges, we did have some but they died and repair costs seemed a bit high. If I could find some low cost used ones then that would be plan A. I think the slaves we have are both Carslro in fact.

I think the PA/mixer is rated at 350W and it just about manages out front. In the grand scheme of things, if we gig more, then we'll invest in some higher spec PA gear.

I was going down the same route last year until I realised that I was only using one channel of the power amp in my bass rig.

Result = a no-cost solution that doesn't add another (heavy) piece of kit to be carted about and gives a higher quality output than a cheap power amp.

Moral = check what you've already got before buying more stuff!