Why become a member? ×

"Cutting Through"... or not?

Marty Forrer

On 18/02/2022 at 14:36, JPJ said:

A lot of venues these days have in-house PA systems and at least one of our local venue’s has a PA with way too many subs mainly to satisfy the venues other use as a nightclub. Given that these venue systems are presented to the visiting FOH engineer as ‘tuned’ systems, the first time the engineer here’s the system with a crowd in the room will be show time. 

Understood, but it shouldn't take him more than a song to sort it out, if not in sound check. IME the problem is sound men who don't know what they're doing, and I've seen them from pub gigs to stadiums. The best FOH engineers I've worked with tended to be bass players and recording engineers, if not both.  One I knew who was particularly good, he was working with 'Journey' when I met him, would automatically high pass the bass at 60Hz, knowing that doing so would make the bass through a monster PA still sound like a bass. If they all did so it might make going to concerts an enjoyable experience again. 

• Like 5