Why become a member? ×

Help with early years Thumbs

vincbt

Hoping to pick some knowledge from the Warwick experts on the forum. 

I am looking at a second hand 1990 Thumb from a pro seller quite far from me. They can ship, but I wanted to spot any issue before taking the plunge if I can. The bass looks pretty good, the only mod I've made aware of is the installation of a plug to power the active pre-amp via an external power adapter. I haven't seen the cavity of a model from that age to compare, so wanted to confirm this mod shouldn't have made any unnecessary mess with the circuits and perhaps it can just be removed if not used? The plastic cover can be replaced easily so that's ok.

IMG_5149.thumb.JPG.63ae67f1542ebccf7c449c107435f142.JPG

IMG_5150.thumb.JPG.3a6be0c0cc63ea1600b31c71ca1bdc59.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Edited by vincbt
photos added

There is an awful lot going on in there.  It doesn't look original to me, the 2 band MEC preamp from that era is a black box filled with white epoxy, rather than that circuit board, and is usually attached to the base of the cavity, rather than the side.  I'm almost certain Warwick/MEC were not using those detachable cable sockets in 1990.  And the left pot looks much newer than the rest.  The only thing I recognise is the thick white pickup wire.  Warwick did change things up often though.

Edited by Kev
  • Thanks 1

1. The overall route shape is period correct and looks original.  

2. The output route however looks to be enlarged.  Can't say for sure from that pic but it looks to be freshly drilled timber.

3. As Kev said, for this period you'd expect to see a sealed epoxy MEC preamp and also as pointed out, wiring was all solder joints not push fit connectors.  None of the pots look original but that is fine if you don't want vintage correct and like the upgrades.  

4. That external power thing just looks a pain in the derrière!  How do you actually plug it in?  D you have to take out all of the screws etc?

• Like 1

Thanks guys, very useful!

The power thing is meant to be using the hole they made in the plastic cover, no idea exactly how but it doesn't sound like someone would want to use. Warwick did get around to installing USB plugs at the back but that's a very different story...

40 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

1. The overall route shape is period correct and looks original.  

2. The output route however looks to be enlarged.  Can't say for sure from that pic but it looks to be freshly drilled timber.

3. As Kev said, for this period you'd expect to see a sealed epoxy MEC preamp and also as pointed out, wiring was all solder joints not push fit connectors.  None of the pots look original but that is fine if you don't want vintage correct and like the upgrades.  

4. That external power thing just looks a pain in the derrière!  How do you actually plug it in?  D you have to take out all of the screws etc?

Thanks, your comment on the enlarged output route made me look back and check as closely as possible the output jack. Something doesn't look right there, as if they had covered a hole. I'll give this a pass and wait until I find a bass I can go and see in person in my area....

Thanks again, you saved me an expensive one

corner.thumb.jpg.a0aec3bc4205838aee1e70b4a639d05d.jpg

plug.jpg.df4fdf557e0c95dbfb53957cc4f0065c.jpg

Oh yikes, what is going on there?

For what it's worth, the non original stacked pot visible in that pic indicates it likely isn't even a 2 band preamp in the bass, so nothing about that area is period correct or original, except perhaps the pickups 

Not sure, by now it's got too many non declared red flags to pick it up without inspecting it and trying it in person...

I'm sure it's a cracking bass but it pays to be forthcoming and flag upgrades / changes from the start, as people do on this forum

Edited by vincbt
typos