Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Klystron

henry norton

had mine for a shade over 10 years now
reliable and well gig worthy

not a hi-fi amp by any means.
I do not know why the pricing structure is different...maybe UK costs are higher and Ashdown give customers the option of supporting local labour content.

some say there is no difference between a klystron head and an abm soundwise.having only tryed the klystron instore i couldnt say either.imo the klystron 500wamp looks cool and you may find not much difference price wise online if they were to be on offer.hopefully i will be upgrading to a classic cab sometime mainly due to them having neo drivers and higher output.just a shame that i cant really try them first as most stores round here dont stock them,but as someone will hopefully tell you they are loads better than an abm cab.

[quote name='henry norton' post='456653' date='Apr 7 2009, 06:14 PM']Has anyone on the forum ever tried an Ashdown Klystron amp or cab? I was looking at the specs the other day and they look more or less identical to the ABM series yet they cost a fair bit more. They look nicer than the ABMs but surely there's more to it than that?[/quote]
You look like somebody I know, who has a similar bike, Ozzy Q?

I've been able to A/B compare the ABM and Klystron heads in a music shop (obviously at low volumes) through a Classic 8x10 cab. The Klystron I believe is supposed to have a redesigned power amp to increase 'transient attack'. There was definitely more top end when the amps were run flat, and the bottom end sounded slightly extended and response was tighter.

I think you can get a much more 'modern' sound out of the Klystron heads, the ABM covers the 'vintage' sound more naturally. I think you can dial in a pretty good ABM sound using the Klystron, but you won't be able to do it the other way around. Personnaly the Klystron amp was the first Ashdown head that I have liked the sound of, shame I still don't get on with the looks :)

Whether this difference in sound is in any way discernable when playing live in a band context and therefore making it worth the difference in price is not something I can comment on.

[quote name='peted' post='458150' date='Apr 9 2009, 10:16 AM']I've been able to A/B compare the ABM and Klystron heads in a music shop. There was definitely more top end when the amps were run flat, and the bottom end sounded slightly extended and response was tighter.

I think you can get a much more 'modern' sound out of the Klystron heads, the ABM covers the 'vintage' sound more naturally. I think you can dial in a pretty good ABM sound using the Klystron, but you won't be able to do it the other way around.[/quote]

Thats exactly what I felt about them.

I have a Klystron (Classic) 500 head and I love it.
I like the looks, I like the sound I get from it and I like that fact that it's British.

I suppose the main difference between the ABM and the Classic is the Classic has onboard compression.

There are some good deals around on them now too. A few hundred quid less than I paid a year or so back.

Thanks for the replies. I've seen a couple of used klystron combos recently and as I'm in the market for an amp they caught my eye. They were very well priced ex demo combos - especially compared to the new prices being asked. It's good news to hear they are a bit more versatile tone wise but I'm not keen on the looks (or the weight) TBH. I get the feeling I'm going to have to bite the bullet and add an extra few hundred quid to get a Markbass....

[quote name='steve-soar' post='457728' date='Apr 8 2009, 08:11 PM']You look like somebody I know, who has a similar bike, Ozzy Q?[/quote]

Don't know Ozzy Q meself, but if he rides a 1965 Bonneville he's obviously a top bloke. Getting the Trace 4x10 combo on the pillion proved somewhat troublesome though....