Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Boxer 30: HELP!

lscolman

Hi,

The speaker in my boxer 30 has disintegrated, after being in a damp cellar. I've test the amp, and it works a treat with the headphones, so wanted to souce a replacement speaker.

Does anyone have anything suitable or can recommend something. It's a 10" speaker, and I'm guessing not more than 50 watts. Would anyone know what ohms it is likely to be?

Cheers, Lee

Edited by lscolman

[quote name='lscolman' post='456543' date='Apr 7 2009, 04:26 PM']Hi,

The speaker in my boxer 30 has disintegrated, after being in a damp cellar. I've test the amp, and it works a treat with the headphones, so wanted to souce a replacement speaker.

Does anyone have anything suitable or can recommend something. It's a 10" speaker, and I'm guessing not more than 50 watts. Would anyone know what ohms it is likely to be?

Cheers, Lee[/quote]

Looks like a 8ohm Celestion to me...

Check out the specs at [url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/BOXER.PDF"]Boxer specs[/url]

You can probably get a better speaker in there to get more out of it. Get a more sensitive speaker and you should be away. I am guessing that these amps were not necessarily designed to get the best out of the speaker and the cab design was more about portability.

As far as 10s are concerned, I'm a Eminence Gamma fan.

You could try a Neo in there for an ultralight portable package... (although I prefer the tone of a non-neo)

Again, depends upon your budget.

...and the purists will say that a Trace has to have a Celestion.

Edited by EBS_freak

the Gamma ten looks good to me. also slightly cheaper, the alpha ten, or the fane sovereign 10-275, which should also both work fine, as it's only a 30W amp.

all of these speakers seem to have pretty good efficiency, my vote would be for the alpha ten i think, as far as price/performance goes...but that's just me. any of those would work.