Why become a member? ×

Secondhand 3Leaf Audio Pedals

bassist_lewis

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Interesting Instagram comment from Bass Direct Re: new stock

Screenshot_20220701-225955_Instagram.thumb.jpg.b665d9b9e42d5fca8ab08cdb8bbc405c.jpg

Here's me thinking I'm the only one who still thinks that way about Spencer 😅

Sick burn. I get the impression Spencer is someone who likes to do things his own way... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It’s because he’s no longer selling to retail stores, he said as much a while back. 

I'm not sure "Absolutely not" quite conveys the message of "sorry no, he's only selling direct now", does it?? No doubt whatsoever there's more to that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bass Direct had backorders 3 Leaf have now reneged on.

It’s a shame if that’s the case. I’ve ordered from Spencer four times and the pedals have always arrived. COVID took (and, through supply chains continues, to take) a heavy toll on a lot of the one-man operations but especially on 3LEAF it seems. I’ve always found him to be a nice guy (to the extent that can be gleaned from email exchanges) and I really rate his pedals so I’m glad he’s building again. I’m also happy to buy from him directly. I find it annoying when manufacturers won’t supply the UK but don’t sell to distributors either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, admiralchew said:

It’s a shame if that’s the case. I’ve ordered from Spencer four times and the pedals have always arrived. COVID took (and, through supply chains continues, to take) a heavy toll on a lot of the one-man operations but especially on 3LEAF it seems. I’ve always found him to be a nice guy (to the extent that can be gleaned from email exchanges) and I really rate his pedals so I’m glad he’s building again. I’m also happy to buy from him directly. I find it annoying when manufacturers won’t supply the UK but don’t sell to distributors either.

I was a bit confused about how a one-man operation could be so hampered, given that if he does everything himself, he has only part supplies to worry about.  But then I read this:

PCBs are manufactured in Utah. Enclosures are fabricated and plated in Oregon. PCB assembly and screen printing is done in Washington. I do the final assembly and testing in my Seattle workshop.

So, he designs but doesn't actually "hand-build" any of the pedals, he outsources all the circuit and enclosure work and just puts it together?  That would explain a lot more why things ground to a halt for so long.

If I recall correctly, the website did say that COVID caused other issues (health issues if I recall correctly) but thankfully these seem to be passed too.

I’ve emailed quite a few pedal-makers over the last couple of years and the supply chain issues do sound horrendous. As soon as one component becomes unavailable it wreaks havoc and it’s often something that seems incidental. From memory, I recall seeing there were issues with obtaining input jack rings, transformers (they doubled in price), and some other specific (often one-model) components, and that was before Russia banned the export of tubes which caused a scramble there too. I’ve been told it’s getting better but that the problems are still very much real which is why batches are small and often done on a pre-order basis. Hopefully this won’t be the norm for much longer and a simple jack ring won’t stop us seeing pedals.