Why become a member? ×

NPD - Pigtronix Mothership I

soldersqueeze

Not really one to post new purchases on here, but I thought I'd make an exception for this as it's been an awfully long time coming.

I fell in love with this when I first saw one back in 2009(?), but the £400/$649 price tag at the time meant that it wasn't going to happen. Fast forward to 2021 and I found a practically mint example on eBay while having a few quid in the gear-fund...

There have been other examples sell for less than I paid, but I am a sucker for boxes and manuals, and this is the closest to a new example of this unit I'm going to find.

IMG20211207124200.thumb.jpg.89d1bdb143f0a9f10a6336626f05bdea.jpg

IMG20211207124342.thumb.jpg.4f668adc7101e2e8e5c5ff62e0e2322c.jpg

This now takes its place next to the other pedal I dreamt of owning 15 years ago...

IMG20211207124430.thumb.jpg.ec6b0c6000f41ce0c5f6d2a8233509d3.jpg

Sure, they're both enormous, have stupid power supply requirements, no presets, hyper-sensitive controls and are generally outdated in every way. There are far, far superior options for bass synth pedals out there these days, but these two are so much fun to play with and are capable of some truly obscene sounds. 

Any advice for getting the best out of either one of them gratefully received, as I'm still learning the ropes.

Most fun I've had in years though :)

Edited by soldersqueeze
Picture
  • Like 3

I have the microsynth for about 10 years now and it's still on my board. It's big, it needs it's own power supply and I'm convinced it's gonna die on me at some point but I can't get rid of it, it has its own noise and just looks cool 🤣. I use it more as a distortion/fuzz with the stop frequency being used as a tone control but one day I'll find a way to shoehorn those filter sweeps in! The sub octave is cool as it doesn't have masses of Subby low-end so it can give your sound more of a colour rather than taking over. I have the guitar version but it's modified to switch between both bass and guitar modes. Also have an expression out to control the stop frequency which is handy!

I have no experience with the mothership but it looks awesome!

7 hours ago, soldersqueeze said:

Sure, they're both enormous, have stupid power supply requirements, no presets, hyper-sensitive controls and are generally outdated in every way. There are far, far superior options for bass synth pedals out there these days

Yes, but this is why we love pedals. The idiosyncrasies are part of the charm. You build a board with things like this and you will have your sound, no one else's.