Why become a member? ×

Fretless 5 string Bass (Great! but needs a new home) - *SOLD*
£275
Aylesbury

Bass Wielder

32 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Am I correct in reading that as 11.5lbs? If so, it does help, thank you. Unfortunately it also makes it at least 2.5lbs too heavy for me, sadly. 

No probs. You’ll know what’s best for you.

Saying that……

I have always preferred solid feeling  (heavy in some guy’s opinion) basses as they seem to sound ‘tighter/crisper/snappier’ etc… in my experience. Even for Fretless.
I guess one possible compromise is weight..,but I’ve compensated throughout the years by better (wider/thicker) straps and if the bass itself does not balance well (again in my opinion…approx 45 degree hang), I’m always prepared to move strap pins!

Very subjective topic I know🙄
40 years plus playing has hardened my spine on many levels (🤣🤣)

I’ve played and owned a wide variety (not all sadly) of ‘factory’ made to ‘custom’ made from vintage to modern basses…and my view hasn’t changed. 
Stubborn? Set in my ways?🤷🏽‍♂️

3 hours ago, Bass Wielder said:

No probs. You’ll know what’s best for you.

Saying that……

I have always preferred solid feeling  (heavy in some guy’s opinion) basses as they seem to sound ‘tighter/crisper/snappier’ etc… in my experience. Even for Fretless.
I guess one possible compromise is weight..,but I’ve compensated throughout the years by better (wider/thicker) straps and if the bass itself does not balance well (again in my opinion…approx 45 degree hang), I’m always prepared to move strap pins!

Very subjective topic I know🙄
40 years plus playing has hardened my spine on many levels (🤣🤣)

I’ve played and owned a wide variety (not all sadly) of ‘factory’ made to ‘custom’ made from vintage to modern basses…and my view hasn’t changed. 
Stubborn? Set in my ways?🤷🏽‍♂️

My problem is that I have several prolapsed discs, both cervical and lumbar. Having had 10lb basses that cripple me and that were sold for that very reason (Alembic and Wal), 11.5lbs is way over my limit. 😉

Edited by 4000
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

My problem is that I have several prolapsed discs, both cervical and lumbar. Having had 10lb basses that cripple me, 11.5 is way over my limit. 😉

Now that is a problem……🙏🏾
Quoting myself here: “You’ll know what’s best for you.”

Custom made one with wings or a Dua Lipa ‘levitating’ model?🤣

Seriously speaking, hope you find a good one👍🏽🤞🏽

Just now, Bass Wielder said:

Now that is a problem……🙏🏾
Quoting myself here: “You’ll know what’s best for you.”

Custom made one with wings or a Dua Lipa ‘levitating’ model?🤣

Seriously speaking, hope you find a good one👍🏽🤞🏽

Cheers. Just fancied a dabble with fretless on occasion. GLWTS! 

Info update as I’ve been asked: 

*side dots are in the fretted position (that is: middle of ‘frets’).
* As stated it’s a Tanglewood but the logo has been replaced and so can be removed or replaced if necessary.

* The neck is in impeccable condition. No dings etc…. Plays super smooth, nice spacing and lovely maple.

• 2 months later...
  • Bass Wielder changed the title to Fretless 5 string with lined Ebony board (price includes U.K. postage)
16 minutes ago, Richard R said:

On 24/10/2022 at 17:48, Bass Wielder said:
And still waiting on the sensible buyer 🤭

I'm not a sensible buyer - my technique is nowhere near being able to play fretless 😪

Have a (love) bump though.

Fretless is indeed a fantastic way to develop the ear and touch. Very satisfying when you get even just a bit right…..

And, don’t underestimate yourself!!

I truly believe every bass player should have and use one.

The right buyer will come along for this lovely thing🤞🏽

cheers👍🏾

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Bass Wielder changed the title to Fretless 5 string Bass (Now Sold)