Why become a member? ×

Extra pickup on a 'Pure P' bass - your thoughts?

Ander87

Hmmmmm....! I considered it TBH but I don't see anything in Nordstrand's offering as double J - I guess there is the soapbar option too...?

The good thing is that nordstrand has a tendency to roll down their technologies across all formats (blades, angle polepieces etc)

I'm very happy with the Nordy P blade and wanted to have something that'd be a match to it (ie. blades!)

Edited by Ander87
can't spell no mo'
  • Like 1

Right, for everyone's benefit, I asked the good folk at Nordstrand the same question, their response:

Hi Ander,

Thank you for your interest in and choice of Nordstrand!

Unfortunately the Big J Blade is a single coil so it will provide noise if you combine it with a Power Blade. This means you have a couple of options: 

If you want to use a blade design for the bridge pickup, I recommend the BigBladeMan. While this will take up more realty than the J, it is an excellent combination for the Power Blade and balancing the two designs will be very easy! It is also available in the EMG 35 size if you don’t want to use the MM shell. You can read more about it here: 

https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/4-string-music-man-bass-pickups/products/big-blade-man-4

If you really want a J pickup and something that is hum canceling, I recommend the NJ4SE. This is a higher output design and also cuts through a mix beautifully, making it an excellent punk p-up! Here is where you will find it on our site: 

https://nordstrandaudio.com/collections/4-string-jazz-bass-pickups/products/nj4se-hum-cancelling

You could also go with something like a Big Split, BigRig (hardwired in series) or a Dual Coil if you are not locked into the idea of a J, and each of these will offer you something different. 

I’m not sure if this was the answer you’re looking for so give me your thoughts and let’s see what we can do for you!

Stew McKinsey

This made it pretty clear to me that if I want to keep the blade style of pickup I love in my P blade, I shall go for the Big Blademan in EMG casing which is 1cm shorter and 1cm narrower, would reduce significantly the space taken.... I've seen how much real state an MM pickup takes on a P bass and I'm definitely put off by it.

Seems like I'm gonna keep it as is, as a pure P, for as long as I can - if I feel bored,  I would really consider the small casing for the big blade and make it a P / MM hybrid... being smaller will also let me bring it further from the bridge so more vibration and depth whilst still punchy... closer to the MM sweet spot I guess... 

If I rescue this post in some monhs you'll know why :D 

34 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

you know the answer to all your problems is another wall hanger. And whatever goes on it isn't allowed to be a P. 

lol! Not sure I can fit another Bass there really. 

also, if a stingray is the answer, wish me luck for a light one… I’m used to sub 4kg basses….! Doubt I can find one that light second hand…

… and the specials (of which I had the SR5 in Cruz teal and regret selling - 4kg spot on) are now at a whopping, messed up 2.8k£!?!?!?!?

I went the other way and pulled out the J pickup of my P/J bass.

I've pondered on getting the bridge J cavity routed to fit a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder single coil 50's P/Tele Bass pickup in there (I figure it would really just be a matter of routing out the space between 2 of the cavities for the mounting screw ears), and then installing a stereo jack socket, so I would get a separate signal for external active mixing from each of the two individual pickups, using a stereo cable with stereo jack and a small mixer (though if one wouldn't mind having a 9V battery in their bass, this could be achieved more elegantly by installing the EMG ABC Active Balance Control instead). 

But not sure I'll go though with this idea, as I am actually really satisfied with just the tone I get now from the reverse EMG Geezer Butler middle/neck P pickup. 

But yeah, if I was to install in an extra bridge pickup in a P Bass it would be a single coil P pickup, and more specifically the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder one, which actually unlike the Quarter Pounder P and J pickups doesn't scoop the mids out of you tone, quite on the contrary.