Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Super P and Super P/J

gregouille23

Hey there,

I have had some Dingwalls in the past (ABZ, ABII) and since I am now back at playing 4 strings only, I am considering going back to Dingwall. I am very interested in the Super P model. On top of Dingwalls being awesome and gorgeous basses, the reason behind it is that I have developed some non-bass related issues in my left wrist, so the more ergonomic the better for me. I think the fanned fret would really help my wrist not to bend to much when navigating the fretboard.

Anyway, I am on the fence between the Super P and PJ. I could never really bond with any Jazz bass so far so I am 90% sure I would prefer the Super P. But am I missing out by limiting myself to the P? Would I be pleasantly surprised by the bridge pickup with a Super P/J? Dingwalls are not exactly cheap so I would prefer to make the right decision :D

Any opinions welcome!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi there, apologies for the slow reply!

i feel your pain concerning ergonomics! After changing basses far too many times i settled on Dingwalls a little while ago, and have now fully made the transition to the fan fret system. They are light enough that i can play three sets in the evening without any shoulder pain, very flexible on tone for different genres!and i find my left hand has no stiffness at all after a gig. For me these three things are pretty huge!

i have the Super PJ, which i find really good for solid ‘in the pocket‘ basslines. Anything which means good lo-mid, and non muddy bass then this bass flies. Its not as flexible in the upper register or super zingy if you know what i mean. I have the Pau Pau fretboard, so perhaps the maple would be different? However, when i am playing James Brown, motown or anything that normally suits a P Bass its quite phenomenal. The neck is the best i have played. Ever. The only but for me is the short scale at 32”. I have long monkey arms and prefer longer scale. For others this will be a good thing, so judge for yourself.

i also find the banjo frets, and string tension give a great playing experience and sustain that goes on and on and on…….

i also have the Combustion 4/2, and recently the NG3/4 and its these two basses that get taken to most gigs. The neck feels more Stingray than Jazz but still super comfy. But the tonal range, especially for Funk, and Dance stuff means i dont have to use an external preamp which i normally would with the Super PJ.

dont be fooled into thinking that these basses are one trick ponies. Alot of reviews show people using them for Thrash Metal etc, because of their association with Nolly Getgood from Periphery, but they are great all rounders. The pre amp is very flexible as is the pickup selector, and it sounds great passive as well as active. 

i would recommend trying both before you make a decision. The Combustion/NG range are quite a bit cheaper, so worth a look.

but be warned once you have made the move to Dingwall and fan fret there is no going back !!

Let us know what you choose and feel free to ask any questions.

cheers, Mike

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!! Thing is I never really bonded with any J bass so I don't think the J pickup is a must for me. As for trying, this is almost darn impossible as you do see many passing around. I have had 2 Dingwalls in the past  (ABZ and ABII) so I am sure I will like whichever I choose. I am considering a classic surf green with tort and wenge fingerboard. The additional options are not cheap so I am thinking keeping it simple 😅😁

• Thanks 1

I had similar thoughts. I went with a Super P/J for my order as I didn’t want a bass with only the one tone available (yes, I know you can produce more than one sound, but a P is a P). The only difference to be aware of is the the tonestyler is only available with the super P - the PJ has the pickup selector switch.