Why become a member? ×

bass and lead vox using the helicon C1

warwickbassman28

Hi Bass Chat,

Please can anyone give me some advice, I play bass and Lead Vox, and would like to purchase the helicon C1 to help correct some of my vocals, the device has and instrument in and out in order that the device reconises your key, however i cannot find anywhere if this will work for a bass instrument, it will work for guitar, keys, etc please can anyone give me any advise to whether this works with a bass instrument, the other alternative is to manually change the key setting before each song, which is abit pants live, or i give it to the guitarist to plug into his pedal board, any advice please guys thank you

As far as I am aware [ & I'm in the same situation as yourself] these gadgets only work with a 6 string guitar [ melody]. You have to have a lot of faith in the guitarist you share it with!

Regular change of keys is just too much faff. It will work if guitarist uses a capo because the unit will still follow the guitar

Have fun.

Before you buy the C1 you may want to have a look at the H1.

Apart from offering a great range of harmonies (very useful for BVs) the H1 is also 'hard-wired' for pitch. If you set it manually to produce harmonies in the key of E then it will produce exactly that, regardless of whether or not your pitching is accurate. I have even tuned my bass by setting the H1 to E A D G and singing through it.

You'll probably want to exercise caution when using these pedals with fretless bass or slide guitar (or similar). I mainly use my H1 when playing DB which means that the 'auto-key' function is a complete no-no. I keep the pedal easily in reach and manually set it to the correct key for each song for this reason.

One other thing worth noting about the these pedals is the very high current draw. Running the H1 off batteries (any sort, including large-capacity leisure batteries) can be a nightmare ... it's happiest running off the mains. Best look up whether the same is true of the C1.