Why become a member? ×

D’Addario NYXL B string

vincbt

Hi! 

I recently bought a set of D’Addario NYXL 45-130 for my 5 strings. The strings sound great but seem to be quite thick right from the ball end, at least compared to the previous sets I’ve used. They even get a touch thicker at the end, while I’d expect them to taper down. The B string in particular doesn’t quite get in the bridge slot.

I really don’t want to go down the route of filing the bridge down or anything like that but am getting the impression that the tuning on that string is not as stable as on the others. Am I imagining things? If not, has anyone found a way to fix the issue other than get other strings or file the bridge? I’m relatively new to 5s so haven’t come across the issue before.

Thanks in advance for any advice, including the one to stick to 4 strings as that’s all I need anyway 😁

13E82A4F-356F-47BF-A20E-74636C0DFE40.thumb.jpeg.4267ec6f205c0611d893157d2ae9805c.jpeg

8C265071-A1F0-4F11-8364-B0761F1864BB.thumb.jpeg.64c6e0302d9f41176faf7ff36759ad76.jpeg

You can get an individual tapered 130, which should have less bulk around the ball end: https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/single-strings/bass-singles/nyxl-bass-nickel-wound-singles/item/daddario-nyxlb130t-nyxl-nickel-wound-bass-guitar-single-string-long-scale-.130-tapered-1557/
Might do the trick. NYXLB130T for long scale, NYXLB130TSL for super long

I haven't tried this with NYXLs, but it worked alright for me with their bog-standard nickel rounds - the taper meant I was able to fit a beefy 145 B string into a Fender-style BBOT bridge without too much trouble.

Edited by MartinB
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

About an inch up the B string (from the ball end) the string narrows. Can you thread it through the bridge slot at that point and slid it along? Does that make sense?

Yes, tried that initially but it doesn’t slide past the thicker bit. I can try to ram it through and force it perhaps