Why become a member? ×

help is it the strings or me ??????

bassbarber

hi peeps :) bought a electro acoustic bass and when its tuned it sound alien. the best way of describing this when you play a guitar and you dont grip the strings hard enough it makes a "twang" noise, i know its not me holding the strings tight enough. so i was wondering if it was the strings if it may need electro one or semi or something like that ??? please help peeps it sound horrid thanks

perhaps stating the obvious

but does it sound 'off' if you imagine the sound of an acoustic guitar.

Cause i have an acoustic bass n acoustic guitar n they sound relatively similar.
So if it sounds like an acoustic guitar then there probably isn't anything wrong.

(i hope that doesn't seem patronising, but at with the guy above. I dont actually understand the problem)

[quote name='bassbarber' post='452618' date='Apr 2 2009, 06:05 PM']the neck isnt bowed just checked it, wot dose low action mean ???[/quote]

Action is the height of the strings above the frets.

[quote]how would i kno if it was fret buzz[/quote]

If you listen closely you'll hear that the buzz seems to be emanating from the frets, usually a couple of frets up from the problem fret.

Is the buzz coming from all the frets on all strings, or just at certain positions? Does the problem go away if you play more softly or fret the string really hard right behind the fret?

If it's just happening on a single fret the problem is likely to be the level of the frets - probably one that is to high or not seated properly (ie it has either lifted slightly or was never tapped down enough - though don't go randomly banging the frets with a hammer, you'll damage them!). It could be that the one you're fretting is too low and that's what is causing the problem, but it's more likely that you've got a high fret.

If you've bought this new from a shop, you should take it back and ask them to sort the problem for you. If it's from a private seller on ebay or secondhand, you've got to decide what you want to do - the cost of taking it in for repair is likely similar to what you paid for the bass and trying any work yourself that isn't reversible could cause more problems. Raising the action is normally the easiest way of curing the problem, but this isn't easy on an acoustic bass. I suppose you could consider bodging it by putting some paper between the problem string and the bridge saddle. If that solves the problem and doesn't leave the action too high on that string you could maybe try making things a little tidier by building up the saddle with an epoxy like Araldite.

Incidentally, this all refers to a buzz from a single fret. There are lots of things that can cause fret buzz - you should probably take a look at the sticky in the repairs section about setting up a bass.