Why become a member? ×

Headless conundrum

Boodang

So, how to make a headless bass take normal strings?

I had a Sei bass made back in the 90s and it seemed a good idea at the time for it to be headless... all the rage then. But, as quick as string changes can be, it really only takes double ball end strings which rather limits choice... to such an extent that I can't put on my now favourite nylon strings. 

Aha you say, just use the clamping system at the nut to use any string you like. Except most strings, especially nylon, unravel if you try to put tuning tension on them before the silk windings (I have an extensive list of strings that can't be clamped and cut before the wrap). 

Apparently the bass can't be made headed (I've asked Sei and various luthiers), and yes I could and have bought another bass that's not headless, but I love this bass, it plays like nothing else, and I want a way to put on normal strings without clamping/cutting them, but so far haven't figured out how.

What's needed is some hardware to replace the tuners at the body end that can take the entirety of a normal string... but so far can't see anything out there. Anybody have any suggestions?!

PS the hardware is from the German company ABM and 5 string.

The string clamps sold by a US independent have a bowl ended screw pushing the string into a bowl shaped recess. This clamping mechanism pinches the string windings against the core so that the string will not unravel when the tension is increased, nor when the tension is released and the clamp is removed.

That works for my steel flatwound strings, but may not work for nylon.

David

I've been buying my first headless 34 years ago and since then have been owning and playing hundreds, really, of headless basses.

I never had a problem with the clamping system as long as you cut the strings after clamping them with the needed pressure of the hex screw.

I've put some White Nylon's on my Leduc U-Basse 4 fretless and simply noticed that the G string needed more screw pressure when clamped.

After that it was staying in tune perfectly and I could detune it and retune it without any problem.

Before that, some headless fretless basses have had Black Nylon's without any issue at all, even my sixers.

Check your clamping screw, the clamping side must be slightly flat rounded (slightly flat ball shaped to match the pressing point) without any asperity that could cut the string.

If you have this kind of hex screws, you are in big problem, so round them much flatter and it will be fine :

5137HdE1jFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I've been buying my first headless 34 years ago and since then have been owning and playing hundreds, really, of headless basses.

I never had a problem with the clamping system as long as you cut the strings after clamping them with the needed pressure of the hex screw.

I've put some White Nylon's on my Leduc U-Basse 4 fretless and simply noticed that the G string needed more screw pressure when clamped.

After that it was staying in tune perfectly and I could detune it and retune it without any problem.

Before that, some headless fretless basses have had Black Nylon's without any issue at all, even my sixers.

Check your clamping screw, the clamping side must be slightly flat rounded (slightly flat ball shaped to match the pressing point) without any asperity that could cut the string.

If you have this kind of hex screws, you are in big problem, so round them much flatter and it will be fine :

5137HdE1jFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks, I'll check out the profile of my hex screws. This could be the issue as so far any string I clamp the windings break open when I apply tension, which probably means they are are getting crushed by the screw when clamping. I'll experiment and get back.