Why become a member? ×

Sire U5 vs Mustang PJI

grenadillabama

I am interested in the short-scale Sire U5 . How does it sound compared to the Mustang ? My only complaint on the 'Stang  is the switch crackles when switched . I don't expect an even blend from both pickups combined but it is different enough for some variety. The Sire looks good but it is around $200 cheaper than the Fender Mustang PJ. I have two Mustangs.

DSCN2181.JPG

5 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

I am interested in the short-scale Sire U5 . How does it sound compared to the Mustang ? My only complaint on the 'Stang  is the switch crackles when switched . I don't expect an even blend from both pickups combined but it is different enough for some variety. The Sire looks good but it is around $200 cheaper than the Fender Mustang PJ. I have two Mustangs.

DSCN2181.JPG

Honestly as someone who has owned and passed on both and will shortly be re- purchasing the Mustang I honestly think the Fender is better, sounds better, looks better and the neck feels nicer on the Mustang, the Sire neck is kind of meh in my opinion.

Edited by shoulderpet

I got rid of the switch on my Mustang and put in a KiOgon loom with stacked volume knobs. I swapped the pickups for Nordstrands… the J pickup holds its own. It’s the bass of the gods.

Funnily enough my switch didn’t crackle… I don’t think they’re very good wuakity, though.

• 1 month later...
On 23/09/2021 at 19:23, shoulderpet said:

Honestly as someone who has owned and passed on both and will shortly be re- purchasing the Mustang I honestly think the Fender is better, sounds better, looks better and the neck feels nicer on the Mustang, the Sire neck is kind of meh in my opinion.

And following up on my post now that I have a PJ Mustang again it is surprising how good they sound, the P pickup on its own sounds how a good P bass should sound and both pickups on brightens up the tone nicely and gives a bit of scoop, I am going to swap out the P pickup but that is not because the stock pickup is lacking in any way (it is in fact head and shoulders above other pickups I have heard on other basses in this price range) but more due to my own personal preferences being for a more aggressive tone.

To add more to what I said about the Sire I was initially impressed with the Sire but once the new bass glow wore off I ended up feeling rather Meh about the SIre.

It had a bright tone to it which was initially pleasing but the more I played it the more I started to notice a brittle kind of quality to the high frequencies in the tone, this also made it quite unforgiving in terms of technique as the frequencies it seemed to be strong in seemed to be the "string noise and fret buzz" frequencies, I found a similar quality in my Ibanez Mezzo before I swapped the P pickup to Duncan SPB-2 so I think maybe it a tonal quality inherent to basses with maple fingerboards.  I also found that once the new bass buzz wore off I just didn't find myself gelling with the bass and that was why I ended up returning the Sire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1