Why become a member? ×

HELP: Mapel Fretboard Finish Options

PaulThePlug

Me again!

Mapel Neck n Fretboard... Was listed as Gloss Finish, but just Matt Tint.

What are my options and whats best.

Was thinking a couple of coats of spray laquer on the fretboard and over a decal on the headstock face. What do you do about the frets?

And see how my leftover Danish Oil goes on the back of the neck. Suppose it depends on how 'soaked in and sealed' the tint made the wood. I don't think the tint finish is resiliant as is... Lighter Fuel didnt touch it, nor 0000 wire wool, but 600 grit started to rub through in a test at the heel, so Strings would reak havoc on the fretboard as-is...

Advice please! Ta Muchly...

F_resized.jpg

B_resized.jpg

Heel_resized.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug

• PaulThePlug changed the title to HELP: Mapel Fretboard Finish Options

Bit light on luthier type tool, fret beams, crowning stones and the such like. See some one on youtube cutting the laquered 'crowns' from the frets with a scapel... For the sake of my fingers, and likely fretboard divots, the masking worked out well. The thin tape covered most of the fret but allowed a little laquer to seal between fret sides and fingerboard... Gonna try Danish Oil on the back n sides in an hour or so when the laquer is dry... Then will denib with a bit of 0000 wire wool all over tommorow.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2