Why become a member? ×

Look what I just finished (g**tar amp content)

Bigwan

Hi guys,

For years I've been wanting to build a valve guitar amp. Don't ask me why - I'm a bass player after all (obviously)! Well (eventually!) my first creation is ALIVE! The problem is now I want to build more...

Anyway. It's a 'Lite' clone of a Dumble ODS Overdrive circuit, 22 watts output on JJ 6V6s (but sounds much louder, can get 35 watts out of it on 6L6s). It's basically a Fender clean channel with an extra 2 gain stages that can be switched in and out for a dirty channel. I bought it as a kit from the states about 3 years ago (from www.brownnote.net) and it sat in a corner getting anxious and nervous looks now and again! I haven't put the footswitching circuitry or the effects loop in there yet, but I was in a panic to get it 'finished'. I originally intended to build the amp for myself, but it's ended up as a 30th Birthday present for my wee bro (hence the panic). The completed pics below are from his phone cam (the vinyl is a much nicer colour in person!), but the chassis pics are someone elses off the net as I forgot to take some of mine myself. My wiring is slightly neater looking...

The cab was built by my own fair hand too. I've learned a lot doing this (mostly that I don't enjoy working with vinyl!) and would recommend anybody that's curious, and knows how to wield a soldering iron in anger, should give it a go.

...and it gets Stewie's seal of approval!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='451209' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:32 AM']Hi guys,

For years I've been wanting to build a valve guitar amp. Don't ask me why - I'm a bass player after all (obviously)! Well (eventually!) my first creation is ALIVE! The problem is now I want to build more...

Anyway. It's a 'Lite' clone of a Dumble ODS Overdrive circuit, 22 watts output on JJ 6V6s (but sounds much louder, can get 35 watts out of it on 6L6s). It's basically a Fender clean channel with an extra 2 gain stages that can be switched in and out for a dirty channel. I bought it as a kit from the states about 3 years ago (from www.brownnote.net) and it sat in a corner getting anxious and nervous looks now and again! I haven't put the footswitching circuitry or the effects loop in there yet, but I was in a panic to get it 'finished'. I originally intended to build the amp for myself, but it's ended up as a 30th Birthday present for my wee bro (hence the panic). The completed pics below are from his phone cam (the vinyl is a much nicer colour in person!), but the chassis pics are someone elses off the net as I forgot to take some of mine myself. My wiring is slightly neater looking...

The cab was built by my own fair hand too. I've learned a lot doing this (mostly that I don't enjoy working with vinyl!) and would recommend anybody that's curious, and knows how to wield a soldering iron in anger, should give it a go.

...and it gets Stewie's seal of approval!

[/quote]

Looks good. Reminds me of the Trace Guitar combos from the 90's... How does it sound? :)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='451224' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:51 AM']Very nice - I agree with the Trace looks comment.
I have heard very good things about the Brown Note stuff. Fancy making one for my 30th birthday? You've got about 8 months![/quote]

No probs - if you can afford me! :)

It sounds just like you'd expect a dumble-type circuit to sound. Fender-esque on the clean channel (and SRV-like when pushed hard), and Robben Ford/early Santana on the dirty channel. It does miss reverb on the clean channel, but that's something I can look at later.

Edited by Bigwan