Why become a member? ×

Rick Beato interviews Pat Metheny

Velarian

I've watched about half of this last night while trying to convince a grumpy toddler to fall asleep. What a conversation. Looking forward to seeing the rest if it tonight. Some of Pat's records (namely "Secret Story" and the Group first "white album"), are my absolute desert island treasures. So is the "Jaco" album, recorded around the time of "Bright Size Life" with Carla Bley (that may be more appropriate for a foggy night Edinburgh walk). 

I was recently trying to learn the bass line to San Lorenzo from the first PMG album. I managed to nail the first few bars but it turns out it’s a lot harder than my meagre skills will allow for right now. 😟

I first discovered his music in the early eighties when my mate’s brother played the Travels album for us and I’ve been listening ever since. Been fortunate to see him live many times and he’s my absolute favourite musician. Come to think of it I packed in bass playing the first time round not long after - I probably realised I’d never get to that standard of musicianship and gave it up as a bad job 😂

Edited by Velarian