Why become a member? ×

Wiring a Delano pickup to a Seymour Duncan preamp

glassmoon

Hello everyone

I recently took receipt of a Delano MC 5 Al bass pickup, which I will connect to a 3 knob Seymour Duncan STC-3M3 preamp.  It should be a straightforward job, as I want to wire it in series to get a little more power (is that a correct assumption BTW?), but the S.D. wiring diagram asks for red, black, green and white. The pickup has yellow, brown, green and white
I do not wish to assume anything, so I ask please, what do the Delano wires translate to in terms of the Duncan's ask - or for that matter, almost every other 4-strand pickup wiring I've found? I don't want to blow the preamp or damage the pickup.

Please can you help????? 
My gratitude in advance :)
Julian (UK)

SD Wiring.png

Delano Wiring.png

Edited by glassmoon

11 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Brown - ground

Green - Hot to pre-amp

Yellow/White - connect together

All wiring diagrams for Delano pickups and electronics are on the Delano website including switching options.

Thanks mate - y'know, I saw those, but to me, they don't make much sense in terms of correlating them to the Duncan.  I am NO electronics boffin, not by a country mile, but my mate, who is doing the soldering, is... and he was confused :D 

I get the Delano side - yes, exactly as you have suggested (page 9 on the PDF I downloaded), but where I (we?) are going squint, is - and I am hoping your explanation will make sense of what I am about to say... 

Delano                                                                      Duncan

Brown - ground                                            Green & bare

Green - Hot to pre-amp                               Black

Yellow/White - connect together                Red & White

As in.... I pair a. brown with green b. green with black and c. yellow & white with red & white?

Does that make sense????

Your translation of Duncan colours to Delano is correct. Unless you have a Duncan pickup as well, just forget about the Duncan colours as I think it is confusing. What really matters matters is which is the "Hot" wire. Which is "Ground" and which 2 to connect together which you now have for the Delano.

I must admit I would put a series/single/parallel switch in as per the Delano wiring to give you flexibility. If you don't like the sound with the coils wired in series, it's a rewiring job rather than the flick of a switch

18 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

I must admit I would put a series/single/parallel switch in as per the Delano wiring to give you flexibility. If you don't like the sound with the coils wired in series, it's a rewiring job rather than the flick of a switch

I did consider that, and in all honesty, i think i will take that to a professional to install... Not that my mate couldn't do it himself, but because I don't want to mess it up when I drill LOL

HUGE thanks for the help @BassBunny - rockstar status!!!