Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Tech 21 Red Ripper
£135
East London

Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jebhardwick said:

Just sent you a DM on here mate, let me know!

Hey buddy - this literally just sold half an hour ago on fleaBay for the asking price.

They are a great bit of kit and a few of my BC buddies will be able to confirm that I've been dithering about whether to sell it or not! Depending on the sound you're after I can also heartily recommend checking out a Pigtronix Octava - which plays really nicely with other pedals as well as having a great core tone.

There's gonna be a rush to buy these from Royal Blood fans - an interview published yesterday:

“Okay, yeah, there’s a pedal... I can’t believe I’m telling you this. I’ve never disclosed any of this information before. It’s a worldwide exclusive. You’re a good interrogator! Anyways, there’s a pedal called the [Tech 21] Red Ripper – which I didn’t discover myself, an assistant engineer showed it to me. It’s a bass distortion pedal and it’s wicked. 

“For anyone out there who plays bass and wants distortion, all bass distortions are a bit sh*t  in my opinion. They sound cool in a YouTube video or when you’re on your own, but when you’re with the band, it makes your bass sound thin and not very nice. Whereas the Red Ripper is just rad. It stays really subby and warm, but has this squelch to it. I would say it’s a very good one.“

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/royal-blood-mike-kerr-gear?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=guitar-world&utm_source=facebook.com

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SumOne said:

There's gonna be a rush to buy these from Royal Blood fans - an interview published yesterday:

“Okay, yeah, there’s a pedal... I can’t believe I’m telling you this. I’ve never disclosed any of this information before. It’s a worldwide exclusive. You’re a good interrogator! Anyways, there’s a pedal called the [Tech 21] Red Ripper – which I didn’t discover myself, an assistant engineer showed it to me. It’s a bass distortion pedal and it’s wicked. 

“For anyone out there who plays bass and wants distortion, all bass distortions are a bit sh*t  in my opinion. They sound cool in a YouTube video or when you’re on your own, but when you’re with the band, it makes your bass sound thin and not very nice. Whereas the Red Ripper is just rad. It stays really subby and warm, but has this squelch to it. I would say it’s a very good one.“

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/royal-blood-mike-kerr-gear?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=guitar-world&utm_source=facebook.com

Very interesting - thanks for sharing that! I guess that explains why I had multiple enquiries yesterday with an eBay buyer buying the unit outright without even trying to haggle!

I totally agree low-end suck is a real downside to bass distortions, particularly RAT based circuits and our band mates do want us to underpin the low-end, it's what we're there for!

I'm sticking by the Pigtronix Octava as being a really good alternative to the Ripper though. It's seen off several bass drive units including the excellent Damnation Audio MBD-2. Obviously in terms of influence Royal Blood vs Al Krow, there's only ever going to be one outcome... 🤣🤣 🤣

• Haha 1

That is high praise of the Octava to see off the MBD 2 and Red Ripper, and only about £100 new - and small. Next time I'm in the market for distortion it'll be in my wish list. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

That is high praise of the Octava to see off the MBD 2 and Red Ripper, and only about £100 new - and small. Next time I'm in the market for distortion it'll be in my wish list. 

Love to get a second opinion on the Octava, if you do. I currently feel like a lone voice shouting at the void on that one 😁

• Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic