Why become a member? ×

Rich

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

What does the gearing do?

Operates the pickup pan control. The lever/slider moves one gear which moves gears controlling two separate volume pots (the other slider is a master volume). Not sure why they used such a complicated solution as stereos with balance controls already existed in that era. Admittedly, the gears are plastic rather than brass...

836684859_meazzigutsgears.JPG.b5dcd49603f71b085203e196f9f4541c.JPG

The bass is full of crazy features including active preamp (only on the bridge pickup) and a mercury switch to mute the bass when vertical on a stand and disconnect the battery - and this still functions perfectly 57 years on. I know they were doing the preamps at least as early as '63 and know of someone with a Meazzi guitar dated '59 which has the preamp as well. Makes me wonder who was first, them, Burns or someone else. Very well made bass. Full 34" scale, Brazilian rosewood (with matching rosewood binding to cover the fret tangs), hardware equal in quality to Fender, metal inserts for most screws (something I thought of only with modern 'boutique' basses), individual polepiece adjustment very much like on the old Guild/Hagstrom pickups. Really cool bass, though heavy.

Edited by Kazan
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...