Why become a member? ×

When boiling strings.....

Ou7shined

I don't believe it is the boiling that makes strings snap, it is the flexing during the rethreading that buggers the string.
I've boiled quite a lot on double ball end strings which have a straight pull attachment and tuning, and as far as I can remember, I have NEVER broken a string in about 20 YEARS, and I used to play some very aggressive slapping!

That's my 0.5p worth!

Hey man!

I decided to see if the myth works a few months back, to see if boiling bass strings works or not. You may find the vid interesting:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st9i_0SVzHQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st9i_0SVzHQ[/url]

After a few days, they became slightly jaded. This is with no meths, etc.

I was told by people that they WOULD snap quickly, after boiling. I did that video in October, and I play daily, gig and practice and the strings still haven't snapped...

They are still at a standard that I feel is playable.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='448803' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:48 PM']I buy new strings. Am I missing something??[/quote]

+1 they aint that dear, new ones havnt suffered tuned tension for a long period either so feel good too. whats the point of boiling strings, unless mum and dad are paying for the leccy or gas to do it ! I tried this 25 years ago, shagged strings are shagged strings.

[quote name='nig' post='448828' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:27 PM']+1 they aint that dear, new ones havnt suffered tuned tension for a long period either so feel good too. whats the point of boiling strings, unless mum and dad are paying for the leccy or gas to do it ! I tried this 25 years ago, shagged strings are shagged strings.[/quote]

Mine are fine. Played on a show on Sky T.V with them as well.

Not everyone can afford strings. Especially people starting out etc.

I can afford them, but bet with a friend (who said they would snap) that I wouldn't change them until the snap.

Not preferable, but still sound fine.

[quote name='nig' post='448828' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:27 PM']+1 they aint that dear, new ones havnt suffered tuned tension for a long period either so feel good too. whats the point of boiling strings, unless mum and dad are paying for the leccy or gas to do it ! I tried this 25 years ago, shagged strings are shagged strings.[/quote]

Depends what strings you use. 2 sets of the silly heavy guage I use cost more than I paid for a whole bass. Meths is the true path. Want a way to rejuvinate valves now.

Some people boil. Boiling only seems to have a limited effect. The bottle of meths with a few drops of washing up liquid method is quite good, too.

I actually met a guy who bakes his in the oven a while back. Seems to have the desired effect as well.

I just buy new ones, though. Much easier at the end of the day.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='448852' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:57 PM']Depends what strings you use. 2 sets of the silly heavy guage I use cost more than I paid for a whole bass. Meths is the true path. [b]Want a way to rejuvinate valves now.[/b][/quote]

Take the glass off and give them a clean. They may still work :)

boiling water is 100*C...steel needs to be around 350*C before the microstructure starts to change...as in tempering etc
and even then the steel has to be high carbon
i did for a while boil strings and then just let them dry in the house on the radiator
whip them around a bit to loosen off the wraps
but it didnt really make them any better except for a few hours of play
better with new