Why become a member? ×

Fender Blues Deville

leschirons

Hi,

I have a Fender 60 watt 2x12 Blues Deville in my studio that I let our guitarist use for rehersals. Last week, he forgot to turn it off and I discovered this 3 days later. (Standby was also off, ie, amp would have produced sound)

Now, it fires up on the power switch but when the standby is turned off, ie, ready to play, it blows the 2.5 fuse. There was no smell of burning but I did notice that the speaker connection plate on one driver was floating and had become detatched. If the speaker wires (copper ones to the coil) had inadvertedly touch the chassis of the speaker, could this be tripping it out? or, is it a repair shop job?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Edited by leschirons

I know this is Dave's place to reply, but...
Is it possible that the detached speaker cable shorted and then blew the fuse and is it the mains fuse or the HT fuse?

I had a short in my Laney LC30 which blew the mains fuse, which I subsequently replaced with a quick-blow fuse - which blew, as did the next, and the next and the next. Turns out it needed a slow blow fuse, presumably because there is some kind of surge when you turn the power on and I would assume that slow blow fuses are used in most amps.

Actually, just checked the mains fuse in my Minimat and that has a 'T' (presumably for [b]T[/b]ime-delay) fuse fitted. I daresay my Mesa is exactly the same. Check the replacement fuse in your Deville and see if it's T marked.

[quote name='leschirons' post='447003' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:00 AM']Hi,

I have a Fender 60 watt 2x12 Blues Deville in my studio that I let our guitarist use for rehersals. Last week, he forgot to turn it off and I discovered this 3 days later. (Standby was also off, ie, amp would have produced sound)

Now, it fires up on the power switch but when the standby is turned off, ie, ready to play, it blows the 2.5 fuse. There was no smell of burning but I did notice that the speaker connection plate on one driver was floating and had become detatched. If the speaker wires (copper ones to the coil) had inadvertedly touch the chassis of the speaker, could this be tripping it out? or, is it a repair shop job?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.[/quote]

If the speaker wire was shorted out then it will not be good news I am sorry to say. Try taking the output valves out and then see if it blows the fuse when powered up. If it does not then it might just be the valves that are dead, if it does then I expect the output transformer is toast.

Good luck

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='447631' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:23 PM']If the speaker wire was shorted out then it will not be good news I am sorry to say. Try taking the output valves out and then see if it blows the fuse when powered up. If it does not then it might just be the valves that are dead, if it does then I expect the output transformer is toast.

Good luck

Dave[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that first thing tomorrow morning. I only assumed that the speaker wires had toched the chassis as the little mounting board had become detached. I tried another fuse today and that blew immediately the standby was turned off. All the valves did appear to light up and glow although one power tube was noticably brighter at the bottom end. I'll give your test a go in the morning. I assume if the output transformer has gone it's ahefty bill coming my way.

Thanks for all your help.

Keith

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='447154' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:43 PM']I know this is Dave's place to reply, but...
Is it possible that the detached speaker cable shorted and then blew the fuse and is it the mains fuse or the HT fuse?

I had a short in my Laney LC30 which blew the mains fuse, which I subsequently replaced with a quick-blow fuse - which blew, as did the next, and the next and the next. Turns out it needed a slow blow fuse, presumably because there is some kind of surge when you turn the power on and I would assume that slow blow fuses are used in most amps.

Actually, just checked the mains fuse in my Minimat and that has a 'T' (presumably for [b]T[/b]ime-delay) fuse fitted. I daresay my Mesa is exactly the same. Check the replacement fuse in your Deville and see if it's T marked.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it tomorrow morning. (Too late now as I just got in from a gig)

Thanks again,
Keith