Why become a member? ×

Plate amps

JPJ

24 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Very True.To be honest the ASX range is very long in the tooth and is largely superseded by the AS range. To me the ideal module for the diyer is the 700AS1 from ICEPower 350W 8ohm, 700W 4 ohm and all the functions needed to make a modern amp easier to build. I believe that this amp is used in many of the "800 watt" amps of the last 3-4 amps. ICEPower seem to have controlled distribution of this model better than the lower power ASX modules. I suspect @agedhorse knows this module well but it is unfair to ask him about it.

I think the best way of getting that module is to buy a Harley Benton Block 800B and throw the rest away. (or keep it for warranty return if you blow it up)

(run https://www.bassic.de/threads/der-hb800b-modding-thread.14870766/ through google translate for a very interesting discussion - some mod it, one pulls the rest of the guts out and turns it into a power amp only)

8 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Very True.To be honest the ASX range is very long in the tooth and is largely superseded by the AS range. To me the ideal module for the diyer is the 700AS1 from ICEPower 350W 8ohm, 700W 4 ohm and all the functions needed to make a modern amp easier to build. I believe that this amp is used in many of the "800 watt" amps of the last 3-4 amps. ICEPower seem to have controlled distribution of this model better than the lower power ASX modules. I suspect @agedhorse knows this module well but it is unfair to ask him about it.

The ASX-2 models are long in the tooth, but they are actually still quite a ways better or more appropriate (all things considered) that much of the competition. That's why they are still being used in a variety of current products.

With regard to rated power, there are different applications that exploit different aspects from all of these modules. That's one of the confusing things, where somebody looks at a data sheet or a marketing sheet and comes to a conclusion that simply does not apply for a particular application. I ran into this head-on when I designed an application around the 250ASX2 module that allowed the amp to operate BTL into 4 ohms even though the specifications stated 8 ohm minimum load in BTL mode. Initially, it was claimed that I was a fake, and that it was impossible, couldn't be done, would blow up, and couldn't deliver 900 watts RMS into such a load. This was from other amp manufacturers, as well as end users who hadn't even the slightest clue about amplifier engineering but were high and vocal on the bully pulpit.

In the end, with ICEPower's support and approval, we received a patent for our approach and delivered many thousands of highly reliable amps based on this "impossible" platform. We were the first to use this part like this, and obviously others followed what we did with their own interpretations (some successful and some not). Some of the concepts behind the newer AS1 platform came out of the research and data that resulted from our off-sheet application of the ASX2 parts. I can't go into anymore on this.

The short story is that there is more going on in many of these products than the average or even technically inclined person might ever imagine.