Why become a member? ×

Alembic Series 1 (1981)

BeLow

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='441981' date='Mar 22 2009, 08:13 PM']Can you recall what model it was? They're great recording instruments but I think a TRB would maybe have been a more versatile first bass - Leland Sklar played them for a long time until he switched to MTD's. Still, the cost of an early 80's Alembic Spoiler might only be the sale of 1-2 of your current basses away. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The Spector is still available as trade bait if that's of interest to anyone with the right 5?[/quote]

Wouldn't happen to be interested in my Euro 5 would you? :)

[quote name='thedonutman' post='442089' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:44 PM']Wouldn't happen to be interested in my Euro 5 would you? :)[/quote]
I did have a look at it but its a little out of my cash sale price range and I'd be inclined to agree with you about the finish. I'd also prefer to trade my Spector if possible.

[quote name='BeLow' post='442086' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:38 PM']Not this one then?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alembic-Bass-Guitar-Immaculate-Condition-1981_W0QQitemZ260381513152QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item260381513152&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alembic-Bass-Guitar-...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]
Run away, 2500 quid is a lot to ask for a butchered bass. Those front facings aren't original.

[quote name='BeLow' post='442170' date='Mar 23 2009, 06:26 AM']Not a particular fan of Alembics although I have no doubt they are fine instruments but this cropped up in my search of local bass items right after I read this thread,

I've got to ask why do you think the facing wood has been replaced?[/quote]
Well on further consideration, let me modify my statement. I think there's a chance it could have replacement facings for two reasons.

Bubinga wasn't widely used as a material in basses until the mid 80's. Having said that, there's always a chance that Global Wood, who supply Alembic with their facing woods, might have flagged it up as a new discovery as Alembic are known for paying top dollar for anything rare or interesting. If it's genuine (and supported by paperwork) it would be the earliest use of bubinga I've ever seen in a bass, by about 5 years. (Fender say they were using it in the sides and back of one model of acoustic guitar, the F55-12, from 1972!) I've also done a quick trawl of the Alembic forum and the are a couple of 80's instruments that claim to have bubinga tops but the facings don't look like bubinga to me. Apart from that, I can't find anything with bubinga until 1993 at the earliest (which would be chonologically consistent to me).

Also I'm not certain whether matching front and back facings were a standard or custom option back then. I know of other [url="http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/12815.html?1095904190"]1981 Series 1[/url] basses feature matching front and back facings and my 79 Series 1 does as well. However there's the possibility that they weren't matching on all the early 80's basses as I've found [url="http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/bass/equip-entwistlegear-74-85.html"]John Entwhistle's 1981 Series 1 bass[/url] didn't have matching facings.

By themselves, its possible to give the benefit of the doubt to each point, but together they seem odd.

Possibly, but it looks like bubinga to me. The colour and grain texture is what I'd expect to see.

I'm going to move these Ebay related posts to the Ebay links forum, because the discussion is getting a little tangential to the OT.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='442248' date='Mar 23 2009, 10:19 AM']Possibly, but it looks like bubinga to me. The colour and grain texture is what I'd expect to see.[/quote]

That's what I thought you might say. I'm not an expert at identifying woods, it just struck me as a possibility. It wouldn't be the first time that an eBay seller has misrepresented their wares, be it through malice or ignorance.

S.P.

[quote name='BeLow' post='443055' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:34 PM']I agree that Bubinga is a relatively recent addition to the luthiers menu so it does look a bit odd for an instrument of that era. However bubinga was being used by cabinet makers in the UK around that sort of time so it is possible someone sourced some facing woods and asked Alembic to incorporate it into their build not sure how likely that is though.[/quote]
Again its definitely possible, but the use of bubinga was mainly popularised by Warwick and it started in Europe before spreading out, across the Atlantic as far as I'm aware.

[quote name='BeLow' post='443055' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:34 PM']I was intrigued as to why some one would go to the trouble of stripping the original facing wood (not an easy task I would imagine), of course if it is a fake then I this would not apply but that was why I asked why you thought it had been modified.[/quote]
I imagine if someone has a bit of cash in their pocket and likes the bass but otherwise wants to sex it up a bit then maybe its possible. Especially if they don't think they'll come across a better example very soon. The Series 1 and 2 basses have chambered bodies so if some care is taken its not too difficult. Alembic themselves have replaced neck laminates in older basses for customers in the past!

[quote name='BeLow' post='443055' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:34 PM']I do find these things intriguing and how this rather exotic bass ended up in the West country is another bit of mystery.[/quote]
The Series basses tend to look like fairly intimidating instruments I guess with all those knobs and stereo circuitry. So purchase decisions are not made lightly and people who like them tend to hang on to them because its not like there's anything they can trade up to. Consequently when people move about because of other committments, the basses tend to move with them.

Allo!

Definitely looks like figured bubinga!

Talking of facing replacement, Jaydee has done such work in the past, for example, Thom Boyle's original #001 bass has had its facings changed twice - there was a GA24 in the workshop recently which had new facings added. As noted, it would require a read of its documentation in order to evaluate the full story - to me, the bottom horn looks more pointed than normal, but then thats perhaps an optical illusion!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='445618' date='Mar 25 2009, 08:59 PM']Talking of facing replacement, Jaydee has done such work in the past, for example, Thom Boyle's original #001 bass has had its facings changed twice - there was a GA24 in the workshop recently which had new facings added. As noted, it would require a read of its documentation in order to evaluate the full story - to me, the bottom horn looks more pointed than normal, but then thats perhaps an optical illusion![/quote]

Raises an interesting question, how much of the # 001 bass can be changed before it is no longer the "original" bass? Two different new tops, different pick-ups, added hum cancellor, different electronics (was passive V/V/T/T, now active), etc.

Hi all, I've had some communication with the seller and he seems a genuine guy (though, of course, it's not easy to tell from a written interchange). He has documentation and everything seems legitimate. He offered an opportunity to go along and see/try the bass in Devon. The power supply and cable are included with the bass. £2.5k is not cheap but it's probably about right for a Series 1 if the bass is in good condition and it hasn't been tampered with.

Edited by lozbass