Why become a member? ×

NOBD - 70s (?) Antoria Precision.

Paul S

Having read most of what @Bassassin has to say about Antoria and having recently bought an Antoria short scale EB-3 that I'm very pleased with, I saw an Antoria Precision come up on eBay.  70s.  Black with maple neck.  I didn't reach as much as I thought it would so is now here with me.

So, 70s Antoria are Fujigen, which implies a certain quality (I won't say the word 'lawsuit'), and this would have been (according to Jon who Knows Things) the same as an Ibanez 2366B.  No meaningful serial numbers so difficult to date precisely, Jon reckons possibly mid-70s.  So, yes, a well used body, maple neck, aftermarket black pickguard.  Was strung with rounds when I got it and sounded very much like a P bass. Tone fully open it can get quite brittle but rolled off a bit you get a lovely sweet spot.  Weighs a decently lightweight 3.8kg, so about 8.3lbs.  Nut width is 40mm but the neck is deep.  Actually very comfortable.  Nothing on the headstock other than a nicely done MOP Antoria inlay.  Tuners are 3/8" shafts and a bit clunky.  Under the hood is really messy and needs some work as someone with worse soldering skills that I have was let loose on it.

I wondered how it stacked up against my JV Squier Precision that was also Fujigen but an '83.  JV is 3.4kg.  The body shamfers are bigger in the JV.  The neck a tad wider at the nut 42mm but shallower.  The headstock is a thinner bit of wood and the carving from neck to headstock more elegant.  Overall fit and finish are better, the tuners are better quality 1/2" shafts.  The maple has aged to a beautiful caramel with some slight figuring about it and almost holographic as you move it around in the light.  The tone of the JV is more woody and organic with more character.  Pretty much across the board the JV is better.  And, tbh, I expected that.

But, for what it cost I think it is an excellent bass and I am pleased I bought it.  I would gig with it, no hesitation, as the differences to anyone but me would be negligible.  But I won't be selling the JV any time soon.

IMG_20210221_103257.jpg

IMG_20210221_103318.jpg

IMG_20210221_103323.jpg

IMG_20210221_103443.jpg

IMG_20210221_103450.jpg

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Paul S said:

So, 70s Antoria are Fujigen, which implies a certain quality (I won't say the word 'lawsuit'), and this would have been (according to Jon who Knows Things) the same as an Ibanez 2366B.  Weighs a decently lightweight 3.8kg, so about 8.3lbs. 

Astonishing.

I had a 2366B, tone to die for but it weighed 11 lbs.

I gave up trying to play it standing up and used it as a lap bass. The weight on my right thigh cut off the circulation and gave me a dead leg!