Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DI to Zoom H4n

scrumpymike

I've been asked to post some recordings of my new Mesa TT-800 and I want to DI into my Zoom H4n.  I've only ever recorded with the Zoom through its on-board stereo mic's but it also has a couple of XLR sockets.  My questions are: do I need a special XLR lead or will a standard mic lead do? and how do I set the two DI switches for LEVEL LINE/MIC and PIN 1 LIFT/GROUND on the amp?  Hopefully you guys can answer these questions and flag up anything else I need to know.

Standard mic lead should be fine.

Switch the DI to line level rather than mic on the amp to start - if that is too quiet, try mic (but have everything turned down). Only use ground lift if you're getting any hum etc. 

Check whether you can change the input gain on the mic inputs from mic to line too - sometimes you can pad them (not familiar with your device though). 

Edit: or, if it will accept it, take a DI out to jack in on your device - usually the jack inputs are line level.

Edited by Jakester