Why become a member? ×

I've got a new toy... Markbass Vintage Preamp pedal

MoJoKe

Now, for disclosure, many here know I'm a long term Markbass user (my main rig is currently a Casa head into 2 x STD121HR cabs) and I do the odd bit of work for MSL, the UK distributor, but as we haven't had many guitar shows to do, thats been a bit sparse this year...  😞

However, they sent me one of the new Vintage preamps to have a look at before it went to Bass Guitar Review for them to look at.  Anyway BGR are not going to get their grubby little hands on this one because I've only been and gone and bloody bought it!!

Its got some pretty clever tricks, which set it aside from other preamp/drive pedals.  The preamp is based on the Little Mark Vintage head, so it has Gain, Master, 4 x tone knobs set with the same frequencies as the head and, instead of filters, a three way flat/scooped/old switch, which works along with the tone controls to give huge tonal variety.  There's no clip light, so loading in a boot full of gain doesn't cause any issues, it just introduces a lovely warm tube gain. It also has a boost switch, giving +6dB headroom.  

Pressing and holding the drive button for 2 secs switches between two different drives, one modern rocky, the other a more organic old school drive, which can be blended with the clean tone.  I've never used drive pedals, but I can definitely see myself using the old school drive, both can be ferocious or very very subtle.

It has input/output, a transformer DI out and an effects loop.  Then it gets clever...  It has a Digital out, both RCA and Toslink, s/pdif switchable between 44.10, 48 and 96KHz.  This evening I have been playing with it using an optical cable, directly into my Audient ID44, and it sounds fabulous.

The aux in and headphone jacks are sensibly on the top of the box, making it a great practice amp, its going to work well for silent stage, in-ear gigs, and I'm looking forward to doing some recording with it.

I'm a happy bunny and gonna enjoy my early Christmas present to myself, because I'm not gigging until NYE, and even that is looking less likely by the minute.

20201214_203043.thumb.jpg.ff77f0fec34233ae7f2dc96dc74a8ee3.jpg

• Like 10

On 18/12/2020 at 20:03, Rollin Thunder said:

Had my eyes on one of these, but felt it was a bit pricey just yet, looks really nice. Just bought a Two notes le bass, very similar features 

The two notes is a really cracking box, absolutely no doubt, but not the same thing  I've also tried one out. The Le Bass has midi, speaker sims and software, where the Vintage pre, with the exception of the digital output, is entirely analogue... it's a very different beast, but that said, they definitely each have their place.  I just prefer the warm analogue simplicity these days!

The MB Vintage and D2 heads are in a different class when compared to an LMIII, they call them the "Gold Line", and the Vintage Pre is right up there too, well worth the money.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 23:04, MoJoKe said:

The MB Vintage and D2 heads are in a different class when compared to an LMIII, they call them the "Gold Line", and the Vintage Pre is right up there too, well worth the money.

I have the MB Vintage amp and yes, it is a cut above the others. This pedal should be a winner.I'd buy one but I have the amp, still......