Why become a member? ×

Stepping up from a Stagg EUB - recommendations please!

Al Krow

On 12/12/2020 at 21:55, Doddy said:

It really depends on your budget. I've found that most decent EUB's are in the £2k+ range, and then you'll be looking at makes like Yamaha, Eminence, BSX, Clevinger etc, and they are all really good.

I've been playing a Clifton EUB for about 16 years now, and it's a beautiful instrument.  It feels very close to my double bass, and sounds pretty close too. I've done recordings where you could easily mistake it for an actual acoustic. It even sounds great with the bow. I don't know how many instruments Mo Clifton is making right now because I haven't spoken to him for a while, but if you get the chance to try one of his basses, do it. He's based in London too.

I traded my DB for a Clifton Mini-Upright (which appeared in my local music shop).  A really well made instrument and as above I get (imo) a really usable DB like pizz tone  (am not an arco player).  Mo Clifton very helpful with advice about the bass.  They seem outstanding value when they appear for sale here.

• Like 1