Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jazz Pick-ups

Mr.T

I am thinking of upgrading the p/ups on my VM Jazz to the Wizard 84's.
Has anyone done this?
If so, how do the Wizards compare with the Duncan Designed in terms of output and tone?
(Yes, I know it is difficult to describe tone).

Thanks.

Hi,

I've actually just done the very thing, had the upgraded bass for a week now. The Duncan pickups are nice enough, but with the 84's added there is just so much more presence and fullness to the tone, and you can dial in sounds far more accurately. I haven't gigged it properly yet but will be having a full rehearsal tonight so will take it along and give it a burn through an 8 x 10. I wouldn't particularly say that the Wizards add a lot more grind to the sound as the Duncs are pretty aggressive but they are so much more in control now with a nicer output.

Also upgraded my bridge to a Gotoh 201(black) which improves things sonically as well as cosmetically.

Go for the 84's! Excellent pickups and a good local(British) company. Mine arrived in super quick time from Wales to Scotland.

(This should be in the pickups section!)

Edited by bundacious

[quote name='bundacious' post='439084' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:06 PM']Hi,

I've actually just done the very thing, had the upgraded bass for a week now. The Duncan pickups are nice enough, but with the 84's added there is just so much more presence and fullness to the tone, and you can dial in sounds far more accurately. I haven't gigged it properly yet but will be having a full rehearsal tonight so will take it along and give it a burn through an 8 x 10. I wouldn't particularly say that the Wizards add a lot more grind to the sound as the Duncs are pretty aggressive but they are so much more in control now with a nicer output.

Also upgraded my bridge to a Gotoh 201(black) which improves things sonically as well as cosmetically.

Go for the 84's! Excellent pickups and a good local(British) company. Mine arrived in super quick time from Wales to Scotland.

(This should be in the pickups section!)[/quote]

I don't need any more grind or aggression, just maybe a bit more output and fullness.
(If that makes sense?).

Can you please let me know your verdict once you have tried them with the band.

Thanks.

[quote name='gary mac' post='440058' date='Mar 20 2009, 10:05 AM']Hey Mr T.

I put a set in mine last year, it transformed a decent sounding bass into a real belter. Plenty of output and fullness.

Don't know where you are based, but you are welcome to come and try mine as a comparison.

All the best Gary.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer Gary, but I am way down in Cornwall.

Are you and Chrisdabass both comparing them with the Squier Duncans?

Yes, mine had the duncans in originally.

Honestly, it is money well spent. I'm sure you will not regret it.
The wizard chaps are very helpful. I bugged them with a few phone calls before actually ordering, they always patiently answered my questions.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='440064' date='Mar 20 2009, 10:16 AM']Thanks for the offer Gary, but I am way down in Cornwall.

Are you and Chrisdabass both comparing them with the Squier Duncans?[/quote]

im not comparing them with duncans im afraid but compared to all the other pickups ive had in my jazz basses (geddy lee, bravewood, fender MIA) the wizard 84's came out the best!

:)