OliverBlackman

Relining a hard case

Has anyone done this before?

I don’t like the colour inside my Hiscox case and wanted something a bit more vintage colour wise. Not sure if it’s just easier to buy a new case but it’s be better to keep this one as it’s branded. 

• Like 1

I've never done it, but if I were to I'd:

- take a few pics first and as you proceed with dismantling the lining.

- carefully remove (dissect) the existing lining from the inner case body, noting anchor points and attachments that aren't simply contact adhesive.

- lay out the pieces of the old lining and use these (when flat) as a template to cut replacement lining to shape. Note double or overlapped edges if there are any

- trial fit and then glue in place. Probably best to use spray adhesive (note any safety warnings)

Good luck........sounds like a fun project.

(Note : others who have done it and have experience might approach it differently, but that's the way I would do it)

• Thanks 1

I made a case for my Jaguar SS, which is an awkward size being too big for a guitar case but rattling around in a standard bass one.

I found a furry dark crimson throw that had that 'slightly metallic' vintage look, indeed it looks just like proper lining material. It had a large hole, having been used as a dog blanket for a week or so, but after washing it there was plenty for lining two cases!

Hiscox cases seem to be velvet over foam internally.

Not sure if the velvet will separate  from the foam easily, if at all. I'd look out for one with a different internal colour you like, buy it and sell yours. If you don't want to lose the branding on it, then just suck it up as I think you may regret pulling your case to bits.

I've modded non-moulded cases before quite easily where they have external screws and when I've wanted to raise or lower the neck brace position.

4 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Hiscox cases seem to be velvet over foam internally.

Not sure if the velvet will separate  from the foam easily, if at all. I'd look out for one with a different internal colour you like, buy it and sell yours. If you don't want to lose the branding on it, then just suck it up as I think you may regret pulling your case to bits.

I've modded non-moulded cases before quite easily where they have external screws and when I've wanted to raise or lower the neck brace position.

Yeh that was what I was going to do initially but couldn’t work out a deal on one I saw secondhand without losing too much money. 
I’ve also messaged Hiscox on the off chance business is slow and they have time to answer. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hellzero
      Due to the Covid-19 situation and severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) plus right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4 kilos and also the ones I'm not really using. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

KRAMER DMZ 6000 B original top of the line from 1980 with original hard case. Pay attention that most people are pretending that this model is a Stagemaster Imperial Bass, but it's the rarer top of the line DMZ 6000 B as the Stagemaster was introduced in 1981, had a 4 bolts neck plate engraved with Stagemaster, had 2 volumes with only 1 tone and the not so good Schaller pickups !!!

Absolutely no trade !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £1350 GBP !!!

In fully working condition, fully original (except for the added strap button for better balance) and in very good overall condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : figured walnut and figured maple top with non figured same woods for the back
      Neck : aluminium with figured maple inserts and perfect neck joint
      Fingerboard : ebonol (bakelite, in fact) with crown inlays
      Frets : 20
      Headstock : 2 + 2 shape (angled)
      Pickups : 2 original DiMarzio humbucking PAF (yes, in 1980 it was still Patent Applied For) P/J, the bass side of the P pickup has a different discolouration which is quite typical
      Preamp : active DBL-1 preamp buffer which means the controls are exactly the same as a passive bass
      Controls : 2 volumes, 2 tones, 3 positions "mini" switch for the pickups selection and series/parallel "mini" switch for each pickup
      Tuners : original Schaller
      Bridge : original Badass
      Strings spacing at bridge : 19.5 mm
      Nut : aluminium with zero fret
      Strings spacing at nut : 11 mm
      Knobs : 4 new identical to the original knurled type ones (original well worn and partly broken do come with the bass)
      Scale : 33 3/4"
      Hardware colour : chrome and aluminium
      Truss rod : none and perfect very slight relief whatever strings gauge you may put
      Finish : high gloss
      Land of craftsmanship : USA
      Serial number : A2048
      Year : 1980
      Weight : 4.690 kilos
      Action : from a bit under 1.5 mm under the G string to a bit under 2 mm under the E string at 12th fret (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with the original Kramer hard case where the handle has been moved for better balance.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC. It has a new battery and has been fitted with a brand new set of Elixir Nickel Plated Steel Bass Strings with a NANOWEB® Coating 14002 strings (40 - 60 - 75 - 95).

This bass is, despite its age, still very modern sounding and dead silent. Only very slight neck diving but with the added strap button, it balances perfectly.

Link to the Kramer vintage aluminium page : http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm

Link to the Elixir strings : https://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar-strings/electric-bass-nickel-plated-steel-nanoweb-coating

What you see is what you get !

Look at the photos taken under different angles to see the fantastic condition for a 40 years old bass (only very small blemishes) ! All the photos are here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mWh2Iwo467qeJsimpX3UdFegJOTs_HIe?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to ask for more.

• By Aidan63
      Tidy Squier CV 50s precision bass in Butterscotch Blonde, with Seymour Duncan SCPB1 Vintage pickup upgrade and wiring and US pots upgrade, previously sold by @Beedster, and before that by @paulie
      http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257211-fender-classic-vibe-squire-50s-p-bass-upgraded-on-hold/page__p__2714097__hl__vintage vibe__fromsearch__1#entry2714097."]http://basschat.co.u...1#entry2714097
      https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/262287-fs-squier-classic-vibe-50s-precision-sd-pup-us-circuit-sold/?tab=comments#comment-2776167
      I bought it back in August last year and, fitted some new Maruszczyk flat wound strings and gave it a clean and set up, and have subsequently refitted the pickguard with new stainless screws and fitted a lovely handmade Guy Lewis rosewood tug bar to complete the original look and fill the holes that were already there, though to be fair it does look good naked, player's choice.
      I was playing it all the time and enjoying the classic mid 50's (some reviews say it's a '56 voice pickup) tone before my custom colour P bass was completed just before xmas but since then it's mostly been kept in its case so time to let it go to a new owner
      Price includes UK shipping in a Stagg ABS case, which is fully functional, though has some paint or glue drips on it. If you are in a remote area that's a premium for shipping then we can discuss.
      I have a set of little used Dunlop round wound strings which I could fit instead of the flats, or a set of ECB82 Chromes if that's your preferred string of choice

• By AinsleyWalker
      So I broke a string on my Musicman Stingray and put a new set of flats on, but the silks didn't line up after I trimmed them down... My previous set lined up perfectly (were put on by a guitar tech friend). 
      I tried googling solutions but every site/forum tells me that it's simply not possible to get them to line up perfectly... I would believe this, except my old set were all aligned perfectly and each string had been trimmed to fit. He can't remember exactly what he did (it was over 3 years ago he gave me a set-up), but says he can't imagine doing anything special beyond the 3 machinehead rule.

I may just keep the old strings that I've taken off and try to get a new set to the exact individual lengths as the old set (bar the G string which is no good and in pieces). Anyone think this will be my best bet? Or have any other suggestions that work for them?
      Thanks
    • By Osiris
      Up for sale is my 2006 Ibanez SR 1000 EWN Prestige model. It's a thru-neck model with a walnut cap and Bartolini soap bar pickups. It comes with the original fitted Prestige hard case. It's in excellent condition with no marks or dings, however it's worth noting that there is some minor discolouration to the gun metal finish on the control knobs and individual bridge saddles. But this is purely cosmetic and does not affect the performance of the bass at all. The bass is in all original condition with the exception that the notoriously ropey stock Ibanez pre-amp has been replaced with a 2 band Glockenklang model with bass and treble controls and active/passive switching. 
      Test drives are welcome and I'll throw in a cuppa too! 
      Collection is preferred from Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, or I may meet up somewhere within an hour or so drive. 
      Looking for a straight sale ideally, the only trade option that I'm interested in is a Fender JMJ Mustang. 

• By silverfoxnik
      Hi Folks
      Encore Fretless P Bass & hard case for sale. 
      £SOLD 
      I bought this Encore Fretless P Bass about 2 years ago for a band I was in at the time that did a few mid 70s Joni Mitchell type songs where the fretless style of playing and fretless sound was a big part of the music..
      Unfortunately, the band didn't stay together long and my interest in - and opportunity to play fretless bass - kind of went with it... 
      So, I figure the best thing now is to move it on to someone who can make better use of what is in fact, a surprisingly good bass for relatively little money !
      Tonally, it sounds like a P Bass should and the pick up is quite loud and punchy. 
      As you can see in the photos, the bass has been stripped back to a natural wood finish (which has been lightly oiled or varnished) and it's been done very well indeed.. In my opinion, it has really enhanced the look of the instrument.
      In fact, the quality of the build of this bass is quite surprising given that is a budget brand bass.. In particular, the rosewood fingerboard on this bass is really good and it has a lot of life left in it too..
      From looking at the fingerboard, I'm not sure whether or not this was originally a fretted bass that's been very professionally defretted or not, but whatever, it's a very nice piece of wood! 
      I bought it on Gumtree from a chap who said he'd inherited it from his dad who'd quite recently passed away..  Apparently, his dad had owned it for quite a long time and had the modifications done to the body.
      It could probably do with a decent set up but despite that, it actually plays pretty well. At the moment, it's currently fitted with some flatwound strings on it which sound great. Not sure what brand they are but they remind me of a set of La Bella flats I had fitted on a fretted P Bass a few years ago..
      So that's it really; this is a well-made and very usable fretless bass for not too much money and if you're interested and would like to know more, please ask away here or send me a PM.
      The bass is available to view and test by prior arrangement and I'm located in the Littlehampton, West Sussex area. 
      Collection preferred but I can send by insured  courier service at buyer's expense if necessary.. 
      Thanks for looking, as ever ! 😊
      Nik