Why become a member? ×

monitoring latency with a Behringer UM2

PaulWarning

up until now I've been using a cheapo Xenta usb sound card for recording onto my laptop, I decided to  take a small step up and get a Behringer UM2.

With the Xenta monitoring was no problem, no latency at all, (this is before I launch a DAW) the only way I can get monitoring to work with Behringer is to tick the 'listen to this device' box in sound-recording-properties box and with came latency even if the direct monitoring button is pressed.

By its nature, direct monitoring should work independently of the computer or any operating system drivers.  E.g. I can monitor directly from the moment I turn on my computer, before the operating system has started up.

My Behringer is a UMC204HD so perhaps the preamp is different to the UM2; but to give an example, with a passive P bass plugged directly into an 'inst' input, I have the gain no more than a quarter of the way up before it clips.  What is the signal chain going into your UM2.  E.g. are you plugging your bass directly into the "INST 2" input?  Or are there some pedals etc first?

24 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

By its nature, direct monitoring should work independently of the computer or any operating system drivers.  E.g. I can monitor directly from the moment I turn on my computer, before the operating system has started up.

My Behringer is a UMC204HD so perhaps the preamp is different to the UM2; but to give an example, with a passive P bass plugged directly into an 'inst' input, I have the gain no more than a quarter of the way up before it clips.  What is the signal chain going into your UM2.  E.g. are you plugging your bass directly into the "INST 2" input?  Or are there some pedals etc first?

just tried that, p bass straight into inst 2, the clipping light doesn't come on even at full gain