Why become a member? ×

COMPLETED PLEASE REMOVE! Warmoth Fretless Jazz

lemmywinks

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='508925' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:58 AM']How is the body finished?[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply, didn't see it till today!

It's just finished with a little Danish oil IIRC, you can feel the grain and it looks smart.

Plus it smells really nice!

Ta
Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is active, the pickups are these:
[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/cutting-edge-1/ajj2_lightnin_r/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass...jj2_lightnin_r/[/url]

There's no additional circuit, just vol/vol/tone.

I have a 2 band Tonepump i could throw in for £25 but i don't know what it would sound like with these pickups. Also it would either need an extra hole drilling or a stacked vol/vol knob (i have one of these too, just the pot though)

I've gigged it with my party covers band (raised the action a bit so it was less fretlessy) and it was great with indie, rock and modern chart stuff. Don't know about metal as i've not played that style in years, let alone fretless!

All you need to do now is learn to play the right way up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='590982' date='Sep 5 2009, 08:45 PM']I'm in Cleveleys near Blackpool matey.

Postage is no problem[/quote]

I do like this jazz...but I'm put off by the fact that the back pick up sound doesn't sound like a jazz...I think you said it had more of a precision type tone....that's a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='alembic1989' post='592951' date='Sep 8 2009, 03:18 PM']I do like this jazz...but I'm put off by the fact that the back pick up sound doesn't sound like a jazz...I think you said it had more of a precision type tone....that's a shame.[/quote]

It does sound like a Jazz, just a bit darker with a bit more thud available. Roll off a bit of the neck pickup and you're in Jazz territory, roll off the bridge a little and knock the tone back and it does a great P impression.

It can't quite do the nasal tone you can get out of a jazz, although with a more versitile eq you could probably get it. It does sound smoother than the Jazzes i've had, which i preferred for fretless. It's not the sort of active tone that jumps out at you with sizzling highs, it just sounds like a beefed up passive bass, which again i like on fretless

I guess it's probably due to the woods and the basic tone control, there's a nice big control cavity on the back in case you wanted to add a different eq

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...