Hi IM LOOKING ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DOUBLE BASS LUTHIERS NEAR DUNDEE, PERTH OR EDINBURGH.

I WANT TO GET ACTION LOWERED AND MY DOUBLE BASS SET UP CORRECTLY.

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS!!

Posted (edited)

Hi levelken,

I'm a bit out-of-the-loop these days having been down South for a long time now, but as an opening offer Stringers in Edinburgh used to do bass setups alongside their other instrument work. There are a few Scottish DBass players on the forum who can likely give you better and more up-to-date advice. I'd also humbly suggest re-posting your question not entirely in capitals for a better response, capitals can be seen as shouting in most online forums and it does put some folks off.

Hope you get your bass sorted soon!

Edited by TwoTimesBass

Thanks for the reply.  The caps was on so just kept typing... didn’t mean to cause any offence 🙂.   I live in Dundee.  Thanks!

Bill Kelday in Fintry would be worth talking to, he's the last guy I went to when I needed a minor repair.

I don't know if they still have the same resident luthier, but I wasn't so impressed with Stringers when I had some work done by them. I explained that I would usually have the string height at the end of the fingerboard at roughly 7-10mm, and he looked disparaging and proclaimed "that's cello setup". I'm sure he's a competent luthier, just not very receptive to modern (i.e in the last 50 years) pizzicato bass setup. 

Thanks for info.   I’m In Dundee.. Glasgow way bit far.   Will try and find luthier closer to home.  Thanks for the help.

Get an adjustable bridge, then you can tweak the action to suit.

I don't have one, but only because I haven't ( in 30 odd years ) gotten around to it.

They used to be considered a bit low rent, but now almost every Jazz player and some of my classical only double bass fellows have them. Local repair and setup man only fits adjustables now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By cascanicoff
      I recently aquired a bass through a trade. It is a very lovely bass, but regretably it has to go, I still have too many of them. So here you are: JCR Jazzbass 5, 24 frets, all at your disposal.
      JCR (Jaume Catalá Redondo) is a Spanish luthier that is beginning to get his well deserved recognition among the best in the continent. You have already seen in Basschat a number of his gorgeous products, and they are very fantastic. Many of his basses have an obvious source of inspiration in Fodera, but this bass is diferent. We are talking of a jazzbass design with 24 frets. It reminds me a lot of such models as the Mayones Hadrien Feraud bass. I hope the colleague Mustafunk does not mind if I take his previous ad for this very bass, so that you can find all the details and some soundclips/videos (definitely much better than anything I could record myself 😔).
      The price of this bass is 1400 euro. In that sense, the 1300 pound tag established in the ad is a maximum in case the pound rate goes down, but right now 1255 pounds will do the deal. The bass is in Bilbao - Spain, in very good condition except for some mini-scratches on the horns that barely appear in the pics. I would ship it in a hardcase, also in excellent condition.
      And talking about pics, here they go:

More pics in this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZfScK2z69usT4t6j6
      Specs are as follows:
      TOP: Maple Flamed
      BODY: American Alder
      NECK: Hard Maple
      Tension rod double action
      PREAM: Preamp Glockenklang 3 b (active pasive tone)
      PICKUPS: Delano MC 5 FE 1700 EB (quad coil) serie - single - paralell swich neck JMVC 5 FE
      TUNERS: Hipshot
      BRIDGE: ETS 18 space strings
      Weight : 3.9kg
      Scale 34
      24 steel frets
      Best, Gorka
    • By Hellzero
      Due to the Covid-19 situation and severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) plus right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4 kilos and also the ones I'm not really using. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

WARRIOR Dran Michael 7 (DM7) Custom NT Signature, top of the range model, early bird, 1996.

ONLY POSSIBLE TRADE : LEDUC U-BASSE FRETLESS 6 !
      NON NEGOTIABLE PRICE !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £1800 GBP !!! (new price still is $8000 USD..)

Fully working and in excellent condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body  : two aged purpleheart wings
      Top : thick aged flamed maple
      Neckthrough : 3 pieces aged hard rock Canadian maple and aged purpleheart with two veneers of aged purpleheart and aged maple on each sides of the aged purpleheart core (quite thin and fast neck, think Leduc)
      Fretboard : thick (7 mm) 16" radius Amazon rosewood (Spruceana Dalbergia) fitted by Christophe LEDUC (his last piece of the very old stock)
      Frets : 24 (no wear at all as they are almost brand new and fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Headstock : angled 4 + 3 shape with aged flamed maple thick veneer
      Pickups : 2 x Warrior-Bartolini humbuckers
      Preamp : Warrior-Bartolini NTMB-918 FL first version (18 Volts) with the "tone killer" Sparkle Circuit removed and replaced by a classic gain
      Controls : volume (push-push, yes push-push, active/passive), blend, stacked bass and treble, 3 way mid switch (250 Hz, 500 Hz, 800 Hz), mids
      Tuners : Warrior-Gotoh
      Bridge : Hipshot "A" Style with typical Warrior strings through for B, E and A (they can be fitted at the bridge too)
      Strings spacing at bridge : 16.5 mm
      Nut : bone (new one fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Strings spacing at nut : 9 mm
      Knobs : gold metal
      Scale : 34 inches
      Hardware colour : gold
      Truss rod : one single action (fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Finish : translucent anointed oil as Warrior calls Tung oil
      Land of craftsmanship : USA
      Serial number : 04886
      Year : 1996
      Weight : 5.493 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the F string to 2 mm under the B string at 12th position (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with a brand new Fame fake brown snakeskin hard case (with one key as it was delivered like this), like the ones Warrior used. The bass also comes with a brand new set of Dunlop gold Straplok as it's fitted with the flush mount strap system.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC when he did the new fretboard fitting, which also received a differential dressing. It has received two new batteries and has been fitted with a brand new set of Pyramid SSSL strings (22 - 27 - 47 - 67 - 87 - 107 - 128).

Long story short, this bass started its life as a fretted, then has been defretted, then refretted, then defretted again and received the last (too much) refretting leaving the fretboard almost non existent. So, I decided to give this bass its original design and it received a thick Amazon rosewood fretboard with classic silver-nickel frets and a new truss rod (4 mm  Allen key) as the original had broken (a common known problem by old Warrior basses). I chose the Amazon rosewood because it's quite close to the Brazilian rosewood when it comes to tone with clear and powerful low mids, thick bass and silk highs, but is also close to purpleheart in terms of colour and tone too (more low mids and less scooped by Amazon rosewood). Couple this with the full Bartolini design and you get a very versatile bass that cuts through the mix. And then the bass started some kind of Tour de France to get back to me, but it's too heavy for me (now), even if it's really easy to play thanks to the quite thin neck with a 16" radius fretboard.

Link to the Warrior Dran Michael basses : https://warriorbass.com/warrior-dranmichael.php

Link to the Warrior-Bartolini page : https://bartolini.net/builder/warrior-instruments/

Link to the Bartolini NTMB-918 FL page : https://bartolini.net/wp-content/uploads/Docs/Electronics/EQs/ArchiveEQs/NTMB-918fl.pdf

Link to the Pyramid strings fitted : https://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_7_string_bass_set_sssl_022_128.htm

What you see is what you get !

Look at the photos taken under different angles and light to see the excellent condition of this bass. And yes, the hard case is brown, but it's hard to photograph. The mark at the back of the neck that you can see clearly on the 8th photo is the sugar of the maple that has burned when sanded. This also attests the high quality of the maple used.

Here is the link to the 43 photos in high resolution : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OHOI7lEQ6IfqoZj36R-oBoffBRi8__VS?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to ask for more.
    • By 1966powers
      I sell this beautiful Eminence Upright Acoustic Bass.
      The finish of this instrument is totally different from the others as it has a french polish.
      Sound very similar to amplified double bass. It has a Realist pickup installed.
      Foldable stand. 
       Padded soft bag (20mm foam) with handles and back straps.
      I give a Krivo magnetic pick up.

Specs: 
      Length: 1,60 m ( 62,99 in) Without endpin. 
      Weight: 6 kg. (13,22 lb) Incl. gigbag
      Neck: Maple.      Fingerboard: Ebony. 
      Top: Laminate Spruce.     Back: Laminated Flamed Maple.
      Ribs: Laminated Flamed Maple. 7,6 cm. (2,99 in)
      Scale: 105 cm. (41,33 in)
      Body Size: 26 x 82 cm. ( 10,23 x 32,28 in)
      Bassbar and Soundpost: Spruce.
      Bridge: Maple adjustable.
      Tailpiece: Solid Brass.
      Removable Wooden Waist Extension. 
      Anti-rotational endpin, the Steady-Foot.

• By henry norton
      Gear 4 Music laminate double bass. A couple of repairs (including one to the front) and setup a few years ago. See pics. Nice sound, easy to play. Half size but perfectly useable by full size adult (I'm 5'10"), easier to transport than 3/4 size and obviously good for the shorter of stature. D and G gut strings, E and A are steels. Good for both Arco and Pizz. Comes with a lightweight rigid case and a French bow. Available in Hertfordshire but can bring to Cambridge if required.
      Open to sensible offers.

• By levelken
      Hi IM LOOKING ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DOUBLE BASS LUTHIERS NEAR DUNDEE, PERTH OR EDINBURGH.
      I WANT TO GET ACTION LOWERED AND MY DOUBLE BASS SET UP CORRECTLY.
      ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
      THANKS!!