Why become a member? ×

Guitar String Question

Thunderbird

Hi all sorry if I have posted this elsewhere and please move it if appropriate 

My 8 year old is learning guitar he is left handed but is learning to play right handed on a right handed guitar and I am thinking that some lighter gauge strings may be of benefit to him as he if finding it a bit hard to fret the notes I am not sure what strings are on his guitar now but they are a bit pants so can someone advise on strings and maybe put a link up to some if possible his guitar is a 3/4 size cheapo student classical guitar and it looks as though the strings are of the tie on variety but I really have no clue what to get many thanks in advance all :)

These should do the trick 

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/classical-guitar-c288/daddario-ej27n-student-classical-normal-tension-3-4-size-guitar-strings-p22

Those guitars often come with a high nut and saddle, so if you’ve not checked that out already I’d do so ASAP. Hopefully the neck is ok too. 

Could always tune down half a step too, for less tension. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

These should do the trick 

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/classical-guitar-c288/daddario-ej27n-student-classical-normal-tension-3-4-size-guitar-strings-p22

Those guitars often come with a high nut and saddle, so if you’ve not checked that out already I’d do so ASAP. Hopefully the neck is ok too. 

Could always tune down half a step too, for less tension. 

Why thank you kind sir yes I've sorted the nut and saddle and the necks pretty good for a cheap guitar I thought about tuning down but his guitar teacher at school wants all the kids in standard tuning 👍

• Like 1