Why become a member? ×

Who makes a pickup and EQ package

glassmoon

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my Yamaha BBG5 with pickups and an EQ.  there are lots and lots of makers that I could buy from, but I am looking at a company that sells a pickup & EQ package.  A box with the whole enchilada.

Does such a company exist?

Thanks, as ever, my brethren 

EMG BTS/BTC, bartolini, Aguilar, Delano, Seymour Duncan...

What are you after?

If you need a full mixer, consider EMG, Audere, and John East. Only EMG offers pickups, too. John East has passive circuitry in his system.

If the blend and volume pots can affect the response of the pickups, any other system is just fine.

Highly rate the Aguilar stuff. Pickups are great, but you've got to know your wiring to install their preamps, or have it done professionally. John East stuff is great for a quick drop-in solderless wiring solution (but don't do pickups).

EMG certainly do the whole lot as one package. Couldn't comment on what they're like though. 

Ultimately, whilst an all-in-one solution would be nice, it's probably best to mix and match your pickups and preamp depending on your setup to avoid limited option.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, itu said:

EMG BTS/BTC, bartolini, Aguilar, Delano, Seymour Duncan...

What are you after?

If you need a full mixer, consider EMG, Audere, and John East. Only EMG offers pickups, too. John East has passive circuitry in his system.

If the blend and volume pots can affect the response of the pickups, any other system is just fine.

I am after a fuller, richer, rounder - jazzier? sound.  I have looked at all of them, and yes, I can buy the EQ and the pups, but not as a "box set".  That is what I am really after here.  The |East kit makes me drool, I will admit to that - and if the EQ alone can do the trick, I will look closer there... I am considering replacing the pots that are in there now actually - I've no doubt that Yamaha skimped on them, being the "entry level" bass that it really is.

4 minutes ago, iamtheelvy said:

Highly rate the Aguilar stuff. Pickups are great, but you've got to know your wiring to install their preamps, or have it done professionally. John East stuff is great for a quick drop-in solderless wiring solution (but don't do pickups).

EMG certainly do the whole lot as one package. Couldn't comment on what they're like though. 
Ultimately, whilst an all-in-one solution would be nice, it's probably best to mix and match your pickups and preamp depending on your setup to avoid limited option.

Box sets usually mean less £s leaving my tiny bank account LOL. 
So yeah, EMG seems to be the win - both as a package and as a price point.  Aguilar, while absolutely awesome, is absolutely out of my price range - wow, and wow again!
I would opt for Barts m'self - I know them very well (from an age when I had more £ than sense I guess).... 

Now you see, it's the mix and match part that I am not sure of AT ALL... it is a very costly road to mess up on, isn't it?

1 minute ago, glassmoon said:

Now you see, it's the mix and match part that I am not sure of AT ALL... it is a very costly road to mess up on, isn't it?

Can be, and you do have to be a bit cautious. I would say you couldn't go far wrong with the East stuff as a preamp. They're pretty good value for what you get and their Uni-Pre range will fit inside pretty much any bass (check the cavity space first!). Bonus is that they are solderless, so you can wire up a set of pickups and, if they really don't work for you, you can take them out again without major surgery!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iamtheelvy said:

Can be, and you do have to be a bit cautious. I would say you couldn't go far wrong with the East stuff as a preamp. They're pretty good value for what you get and their Uni-Pre range will fit inside pretty much any bass (check the cavity space first!). Bonus is that they are solderless, so you can wire up a set of pickups and, if they really don't work for you, you can take them out again without major surgery!

Yeah - the East is, more and more, looking like a win.  Of course, once I make the BB5 sing, I'll want one in the TRB6 too - and that is when I need to start gigging - which means .... sigh, we all get the picture

But yeah - East I think is the way to go

• Like 2

4 hours ago, glassmoon said:

I am considering replacing the pots that are in there now actually - I've no doubt that Yamaha skimped on them, being the "entry level" bass that it really is.

I am sorry, that my expression was unclear. I mean here that any passive component in the signal chain will affect the pickup response. It is not a question of quality or brand, it is the nature of the component. Changing a pot to another does not help. But if your preamp is a true active mixer (John East, Audere...), the blend or vol do not affect the signal and the pickup response.

• Like 1