Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Coated Strings

MSL Pro

• 1 month later...

Ordered 2 sets of the Longevo nickels 40-100's and fitted a set to my MarloweDK and love the tone but i've noticed the E string sounds a little bit quiet compared to the others. Bass set up hasn't changed much altho i did have to tweak the neck a touch but the Marlowe seems to sit on the edge with the neck.

Might just be this set. I have another set i'll fit to my VM4 and see how they get on. If its a generic thing i'll end up going back to my D'addario nickels again.

As i've played the bass at gigs i've also noticed the strings dont cut thru the mix like my D'addarios but  not much in it. Think they'll suit the Glam rock band better where i dont need as much bite for most songs.

In the punk band i have a distinct edge on the top end.

Dave 

• 9 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection here.

I've had the LongEvos on a Hamer Cruise bass for a while; pandemic/no band has meant that the bass hasn't been out of the house, but it's had some play-time at home - I don't know how long they've been on, well over a year, but lightish use.

Joined something new recently, had a couple of four hour rehearsal sessions - took the Lull to the first one (Elixir Nanowebs) and the aforementioned Hamer on the second (LongEvo) - by way of observation the LongEvos were a little like running through treacle.  They felt a bit sticky (for want of a better description) if that makes sense...I tend to do a lot of work at the nut end and slide up to dusty end for embellishments, but they were quite hard going.  The Elixirs are almost self-lubricating by comparison.

There's no evidence of the coating coming off, but they just felt a bit like they'd been on for years.  In their defence, they sounded fine.  Might be a case of this being a real world process - maybe the coating has just deteriorated a bit.

• Like 1

I just found the Longevo strings got lost in the mix compared to other strings i've used.

Put DR Black Beauties on my Sandberg VM4 and i cant hype them enough. 

I have Elixirs on my Warwick Thumb and they still sound great after about 10 yrs altho the bass very rarely gets used even at home. 

DR's are approx £20 less than the Elixirs tho so time will tell if they go the distance. If not I'll be looking at the Elixirs again. The DR's have less tension than the Elixirs and feel more like my D'addario EXL's for tension.

Dave