Why become a member? ×

Question about the Ashdown Labs Superfly

Skywalker83

Ok i'm downsizing my amp, and really fancy going for a Superfly (500w @ 4 Ohms). Cab wise im using a PJB 4B cab (8 ohms) , and i plan on buying another one of these cabs soon.

I've noticed that the Superfly has 2 speakon outputs, one for each internal power amp. what i'm wondering is, if i run each cab from each output will i get the the full 500W capability of the amp? or will it be less, as each output is going into an 8 Ohm cab?

Also if i use only one 8 ohm cab (not all gigs will require the 2 cabs) from one output, how much power will i get?

Any help appreciated.

[quote name='Skywalker83' post='434735' date='Mar 14 2009, 06:01 PM']Ok i'm downsizing my amp, and really fancy going for a Superfly (500w @ 4 Ohms). Cab wise im using a PJB 4B cab (8 ohms) , and i plan on buying another one of these cabs soon.

I've noticed that the Superfly has 2 speakon outputs, one for each internal power amp. what i'm wondering is, if i run each cab from each output will i get the the full 500W capability of the amp? or will it be less, as each output is going into an 8 Ohm cab?

Also if i use only one 8 ohm cab (not all gigs will require the 2 cabs) from one output, how much power will i get?

Any help appreciated.[/quote]

You will be likely to get around 300 watts instead of 500 over the 2 cabs as full power requires 2 4 ohm cabs, however have you seen the superfly 1000? you would probably be looking at around 600 watts ish over the 2 cabs with one of those which should be plenty really unless you are playing really big gigs and if you are the Superfly has a good DI anyways so you can always go into the PA.

Heres the link for the Sfly 1000 anyway

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Superfly-1000~ID~11117.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...00~ID~11117.asp[/url]

I asked Ashdown - I wanted to find out if I was better off using an 8 ohm in each power output rather than paralleling the two speakers and running 4 ohms off one output. With an 8 ohm load, the output per channel is about 175W.