Why become a member? ×

Fretboard Woods

acidbass

4 hours ago, Bolo said:

To say "fretboard material A always produces tonal characteristic Z significantly" regardless any other factors (neck material, thickness and construction; truss rod design and implementation; headstock; body wood; hardware; pickup location and configuration; electronics; etc. etc.) Is simply ludicrous. 

You're all entitled to your opinion of course, but don't try to sell it off as science.

Manufacturers sell products with variations to sell more products. Tapping a block of wood can tell you something about it's density and possible included cracks and faults but it's only one of the checks a piece gets before it's chosen (hydrometer for instance).

Also I might be mistaken to the meaning of the 'fundamental' which in audiology we mostly assume to be the lowest dominant frequency in the timbre. The one frequency that does not fit in the 'maple is brighter' theory as that mainly suggest that the higher frequency  overtones become more dominant in the timbre.

Classical orchestra string instruments almost exclusively seem to feature ebony fingerboards yet differ great in tone, something to keep in mind maybe when claiming one type of material always has the same sound.

Lastly, can we refrain from name-calling people with a different opinion? Flat earthers, trumpian fact-deniers or whatever it was. Even more so when your logic is flawed and your facts are cherry picked and incomplete.

The point about many parts of a bass was never in doubt-the question on fretboard material is about if all other things were the same - would it make a difference?

Classical instruments will vary from violin through to double bass - of course they will sound different - even amongst the same class it would depend on the body wood, and how it has matured also regardless of them all being ebony, all mainly ebony, but most people seem to accept an in acoustic instrument, the rest of the wood makes a difference.

I’ve posted but 2 articles, there will be more if you search and are interested, there won’t be a perfect study, there rarely is, it just depends on your tolerance as to what is acceptable 

Rosewood and Maple are  very different woods.

Neither rosewood nor maple was chosen originally because they sound good, but because they look good, hold frets well, are easily worked and wear well. For a fretless fingerboard, ebony seems to be the timber of choice...

Other woods should sound completely different again. there is nothing magic about rosewood or maple - just tradition - so all these other woods: Poplar laminate, amaranth, paulownia, laurel to name a few, there's every chance that one or more of these will actually sound better than rosewood or maple, if properly blind tested with all those many other variables controlled.

5 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

That’s ok - I didn’t for ages - it’s all about pores and cellular make up - it’s essentially why hardwoods are better than soft woods for instruments 

Oh stinky poo... I suppose I'll just bin my acoustic guitar, and this Stradivarius while I'm at it...

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Oh stinky poo... I suppose I'll just bin my acoustic guitar, and this Stradivarius while I'm at it...

No need to sell just yet, I was taking mainly electric ones, and yes it’s a vast generalisation l, but if I am correct Strads often use willow bracing and and maple for the back (hardwoods), and a spruce top which is a softwood but differs from others with the resin and how it’s channels seal off after it has been felled, so is drifting towards hardwood in its cellular behaviour.

Happy to be wrong though

Edited by Cuzzie

48 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Pine make surprisingly good guitar bodies. I keep looking at the pitch pine doors in the house (which is going to be sold) and thinking the next owner doesn't need those...

Do it - they do make good bodies indeed!