Why become a member? ×

Hohner b500

Davel

Hohner b500 

please can someone help , volume knob came loose and snapped wires to pot , I have new pot but need to know where to solder wires , I have searched high and low for photo or diagram of inside b500 but have had no joy . Is there a hero out there with photo or diagram please who could help .

dave

Post a clear pic of the control cavity showing the pot & disconnected wires, someone will be able to tell you what goes where.

Not familiar with the B500, having Googled it, it looks like a P/J bass styled similarly to Ibanez SoundGear, SGC Nanyo Bass Collection etc. These are active basses with a battery powered preamp. Is your B500 active or passive?

• Like 1

image.png.7b1c0b276a8c4f3d5a31590eac91269f.png

From Hohner - Historical Guitar Models

'1 single coil J-style + 1 single coil split P-style; vol/vol/tone/tone; bolt on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard; 863mm scale; 24 nickel silver frets; solid alder body; gold hardware; colour: metallic red, royal blue'

If you can send images of the controls and wiring as they are now including the new pot and with the info above, I think it is possible for some of our resident gurus to piece together a wiring diagram for you.

Failing that: BCers Prepared to HelpFix a Bass.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Hi all

thank you for responses, I have tried to get clear pics but not the best , I will try to add better pics later. I have 4 wires loose which are - 1 black 

3 red ( reds have white sleeved wire attached)

I have added photo of broken pot as well as solder might help show where wires go.

I have purchased new pot , just can’t make out exactly where wires go.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks all

davel 

F22D3114-8EFA-4150-839B-2E79DD1742EC.jpeg

11139E3C-6FBE-45CB-A826-1017EA69D918.jpeg

D6CC639C-2463-4A81-92D8-BA977CBE551E.jpeg

7F4FEC05-CCF4-4F0B-B816-C856F54301CB.jpeg

OMG that is pretty much the worst wiring / soldering mess I have ever seen in my life. It must have been done by a chimp on crack.

Well I've never come across a Vol,Vol,Tone,Tone without a 3 way switch and like you Google doesn't seem to find one either. Must have been a unique Hohner thing. My gut reaction, they had the bodies tooled up for an active version and rather than retool for a normal VVT they lobbed in another pot ...

Can't figure out the wiring from the pics, so maybe a bit of logic can be applied.

OK, whoever done it used shielded cable, so the three braided wires go to the body of volume pot.

Right, the red wire that comes into the body, comes from the pickup, so the white core should go to the centre lug on the pot.

So, we're left wth two wires. This is where I'd be taking a leap of faith ... The lug that is folded back and soldered to the pot body is the earth. Now we already have three earth braids, so it's unlikely that either of the two remaining wires go there.

Look at the other volume pot and tone wiring and try and copy the wiring layout to the broken wiring.

At the end of the day, it's two wires and two solder points, should be easily sorted with minimal trial and error ...

Rethink ...

Just noticed Bassassin's comment that these were active. I can see that that there is a stereo barrel jack fitted, that is the norm for an active bass.

I'd guess, it was active, the electronics failed so it was converted to passive. Now we're stuck with four holes, so lets knock up non standard wiring so we can fill all the holes ...

How about picking up a cheap drop in active module from ebay, or stay passive with standard VVT wiring?

On 20/07/2020 at 16:46, John Cribbin said:

Rethink ...

Just noticed Bassassin's comment that these were active. I can see that that there is a stereo barrel jack fitted, that is the norm for an active bass.

I'd guess, it was active, the electronics failed so it was converted to passive. Now we're stuck with four holes, so lets knock up non standard wiring so we can fill all the holes ...

How about picking up a cheap drop in active module from ebay, or stay passive with standard VVT wiring?

Thank you for help , I actually bought this guitar with an amp for my 15 year old son who after listening to beatles has gone into musician overdrive. Should have checked over properly before purchasing, was shocked and amused when I opened and saw soldering . I have a couple of spare pots so will try your method with some trial and error. If no joy will strip out and start again me thinks . Thanks again, and once sorted will post pics for other players reference.