Why become a member? ×

Warwick or Mayones

ntto

On 22/06/2020 at 20:35, ntto said:

Music wise,  amongst others Tool, Rush, Queensryche, NIN, Pearl Jam etc etc

The bands you named all have radically different sounding bass guitars frankly.

What you want is a bit of a jack of all trades.

The Warwick that comes to mind for this is one of the Streamer models like SS1, SS2 or possibly the jazzman or a double buck (bolt on models) if you can get hold of one.
Thumb bass sounds more modern and tight, the Dolphin too - they're not fit for oldskool type of sounds. 

I have never owned or played any Mayones so I can't tell you anything about those.

Having played a lot of Warwicks over time, my Dolphin now just sits there in the rack. I mostly play my Zon Sonus and Fodera NYC Empire which both in fact are Jazz Basses on steroids. Their pickup configuration and placement is exactly that of a 70's Fender Jazz but both have excellent active preamps built in and the build quality is just fab.

So I have to agree with some others... All roads lead back to the Jazz Bass. Combining the pickups 50/50 just gives you that spank and upper mids growl that works so well in the mix.

• Like 1

It isn't the quality. That Dolphin has better fretwork and allows lower action then the other two basses I mentioned. I only play the others because of their ability to give me a more oldskool tone.

Warwicks are technically at least equal, maybe even better. They just have a very different character tone wise.

Edited by DiMarco

• 3 months later...