Why become a member? ×

Microphonic middle pot

OK, anyonehelp with this.

I have a Fender American Deluxe Precision. This is an active bass with pots for volume, pickup blend, stacked bass and treble, and middle. Except for the volume all pots have central notches.

The middle pot feels to have lost its centre notch and clanks at full cut and more so at full boost - kind of sounds microphonic - and I seem to have some mid boost going on.

Do I just change the pot?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='432612' date='Mar 12 2009, 04:46 PM']Er...and how do I know what pot to buy?

All it says on the pot is 49443 0634 CT8[/quote]

its probably just a simple industrial pot with detent...i am checking out a supplier

[quote name='mrcrow' post='432738' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:39 PM']its probably just a simple industrial pot with detent...i am checking out a supplier[/quote]

Thanks.

The Fender parts list describes it as 100KB CNTR DTNT (part #0049443000) - if I have understood correctly.

And I found a place in Slovenia that has them!!

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='432760' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:54 PM']Thanks.
The Fender parts list describes it as 100KB CNTR DTNT (part #0049443000) - if I have understood correctly.
And I found a place in Slovenia that has them!![/quote]
:)
you are a lot more resourceful than me!!

i met a guy in london last weekend from slovenia...its a country with high wages and levels of living...so he told me
i guess you have your supplier
no results for the uk?

[quote name='mrcrow' post='432764' date='Mar 12 2009, 06:59 PM']:)
you are a lot more resourceful than me!!

i met a guy in london last weekend from slovenia...its a country with high wages and levels of living...so he told me
i guess you have your supplier
no results for the uk?[/quote]

No UK result so far - maybe I'm doing the wrong search.

Thanks for your help.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='432775' date='Mar 12 2009, 07:09 PM']Got one in the US now, shipping is three times the price of the pot!![/quote]

you know that pot is made in a factory for 5 cents and used in 1000's of applications....imho
we in the music fraternity get soaked just because fender buys them in bulk and rips us off for replacements

its the same with cars for just simple parts ...bolts etc

hope you get it sorted ok though

[quote name='yanto' post='432993' date='Mar 12 2009, 10:54 PM']The same happened to my new P deluxe-I bent a few bits in the pot and it's been fine ever since[/quote]

Hmmm... maybe I'll try that but my mid pot has always felt slightly strange and sort of floppy (compared to the treble and bass and blend) even when it worked.

On my searches I've come across half a dozen people who have had problems with this pot on the American Deluxe.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='432833' date='Mar 12 2009, 08:21 PM']Hang on! Slovenia loses because I can't figure out how to buy anything from the site.

Looks like US has pulled into the lead.

Does no one sell these in UK?[/quote]

what i think is .....the signal goes into a pot...specifically designed to do a job of work
the signal can be any signal so long as the pot is capable of handling it and not attenuating it

so who makes these pots...in the uk..must be somebody and it aint fender

but there we go...and there you go

good luck...and i hope it does the job too!!

ps you could have contacted a uk luthier for 'a pot' to do the job..

[quote name='mrcrow' post='434027' date='Mar 13 2009, 06:42 PM']what i think is .....the signal goes into a pot...specifically designed to do a job of work
the signal can be any signal so long as the pot is capable of handling it and not attenuating it

so who makes these pots...in the uk..must be somebody and it aint fender

but there we go...and there you go

good luck...and i hope it does the job too!!

ps you could have contacted a uk luthier for 'a pot' to do the job..[/quote]

You're probably correct about a UK luthier having something to 'do the job' but...anyway.

Price turned out not too bad because I ordered two (just in case) and got a major Paypal refund on the shipping due to it costing much less than advertised on the website. And they are already in USPS post this morning.

So my recommendation goes to [url="http://www.darrenriley.com/main.html"]Darren Riley Guitar & Amp Shop[/url] of Raleigh, North Carolina.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='434095' date='Mar 13 2009, 07:46 PM']You're probably correct about a UK luthier having something to 'do the job' but...anyway.

Price turned out not too bad because I ordered two (just in case) and got a major Paypal refund on the shipping due to it costing much less than advertised on the website. And they are already in USPS post this morning.

So my recommendation goes to [url="http://www.darrenriley.com/main.html"]Darren Riley Guitar & Amp Shop[/url] of Raleigh, North Carolina.[/quote]

bumo for them
alls well that ends well...well?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='434095' date='Mar 13 2009, 07:46 PM']You're probably correct about a UK luthier having something to 'do the job' but...anyway.

So my recommendation goes to [url="http://www.darrenriley.com/main.html"]Darren Riley Guitar & Amp Shop[/url] of Raleigh, North Carolina.[/quote]

bumo for them
alls well that ends well...well?