Why become a member? ×

Pimping Your Headphones

OK, two dilemmas, but both leading to the same topic:

I've got a pair of really spangly headphones from [url="http://ifrogz.com/products.php?cat=446"]Ifrogz[/url] that look the Mutts, but the lead's a bit short (I'm used to 10ft lead, these are 3ft) and the jack's a bit naff...apart from that they're not too shabby (esp for the price! :) ) and would like to know if anyone's got any tips/tricks/hints as to how to go about replacing the lead/ends? I've got plenty of decent stereo speaker wire left over from rigging my hifi/tv/dvd/laptop to my kitchen/livingroom/bedroom, so would that work? can anyone recommend somewhere for stereo headphone jacks?

Also, I've got a STUPIDLY comfy set of headphones that sounds like I've got a tear in the right cone...anyone know where I can get replacement headphone cones to go into an existing casing?

....and before you ask, I don't wanna hybrid the two sets :rolleyes:

[quote name='deksawyer' post='429907' date='Mar 9 2009, 10:27 PM']speaker wire + headphones = a very stupid idea!

D.[/quote]

oooooooooookay, thankyou....any more info to clarify why you think it's a very stupid idea?

Do I need wire of a: higher impedance, lower impedance, different gauge, different material, different colour etc etc etc?

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='429943' date='Mar 9 2009, 10:54 PM']oooooooooookay, thankyou....any more info to clarify why you think it's a very stupid idea?

Do I need wire of a: higher impedance, lower impedance, different gauge, different material, different colour etc etc etc?[/quote]

You'll ideally want screened cable. The sort of levels going into headphones is about the same as line level, so it makes sense you'd want similar cable.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='430039' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:16 AM']You'll ideally want screened cable. The sort of levels going into headphones is about the same as line level, so it makes sense you'd want similar cable.

A[/quote]

It's not necessary really though, as there are no gain stages at that point. the only possibility of noise would be if it got into the amplifier via a negative feedback loop within the amp.

To answer the OP, it will be tricky to replace those wires, what if you just got an extension cable to plug them into?

I couldn't tell you about the driver without knowing the headphones involved.

[quote name='Alien' post='430039' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:16 AM']You'll ideally want screened cable. The sort of levels going into headphones is about the same as line level, so it makes sense you'd want similar cable.

A[/quote]
I agree with escoll - the impedance of headphone circuits is very low, so the chances of picking up interference are much reduced.

As far as rewiring phones are concerned, it probably makes sense to use the same type of wire are was used before.

If your phones' lead is figure of eight in cross section, you probably have two screened leads, one for left and one for right.

If your phones' lead is circular, it may contain four conductors, and no screening. In the mid-priced Sennheisers that I repaired recently, the four wires were lacquered, and each was wound loosely around its own plastic core - this gave the cable strength without stressing the conductors. The four conductors are right, hot and ground and left, hot and ground, and the two grounds connect together to the sleeve of the jack plug.

Traditionally, the jackplug tip is left, and the ring is right.

For jackplugs, 1/4 inch or 3.5 mm, I have found [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/audio-spares"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/audio-spares[/url] to be fast and relatively cheap.

For replacement headset parts, Beyer and Sennheiser do carry spares, long after production stops. If it is not one of those, you may be heading down the diy route, with tissue paper and glue, or whatever it needs.