Why become a member? ×

What to get?

Wildy

I basically started out with a little Fender Rumble 15 which was perfect for practice at home, but now as I move on to playing in a band I find that it is somewhat useless. It distorts a lot at full volume, which still isn't sufficient enough to be heard over the other guitar and drums. I am looking for another amp which will allow me to be heard (like all bassists deserve :rolleyes: ) and will also be sufficient for small gigs.

My problem is that I don't have much of an understanding in the area of amps etc. The combo amps that I looked at were mostly 300W (is this overkill for my uses) and were too expensive for me (I'm looking for something sub £400). If I were to go for a stack amp would I need two cabs and a head or would a single cab and a head work ok? We play metal so I am looking for a fairly brutal tone.

Any help would be appreciated on this :)

Regards,

Mike

a few 300w combos to choose from under £400 .certainly wont be overkill.a 300w combo will not put out its full power unless you plug in an extension cab with it.you will be lucky to get a new head and cab for your budget,something thats decent anyway.why not go for a second hand rig plenty for sale on here.300w head and a decent cab would be ideal.if you want to buy new go to your local store to see what they have within your budget and try them out.just seen on soundslive site, ashdown mag 300w head £233 and mag 1x15 cab £150,+ postage on top of that so not far away from your budget!

Edited by bassmansky

Yeah, i would say a Ashdown MAG would be a good bet. Either as suggested above or a Combo to start with. Either will give the same out put (around 220watts i believe) unless you use two cabs or combo plus cab.
I gigged an older MAG 307 C-115 combo for over a year and it worked well. Not the loudest rig i have owned but good enough for my covers gigs. Nice earthy tone as well.
I guess if you are playing Metal then a bit of distortion isnt too much of a problem.