Why become a member? ×

Squier Bronco Bass (Now Sold)

Shaker

I bought this in 2003 for my then 10 year old son to start learning on. He has now grown both physically and as a bass player, so has now taken my old P Bass.

This leave this as surplus to requirements. I had toyed with turning it into a 'piccolo bass' or upgrading it, but I have huge hands and too many basses already.

As you can see it is a stock bass. Shortscale (30.5"), single pick up, two saddle bridge. The bass is in good used condition, having been played but not abused. The pickup is powerful, the tone control surprisingly musical and everything works as it should. It is strung with Elites that have plenty of life left in them and it has a low action, albeit a little 'fretty' up the dusty end.

So, in summary, a good starter bass for a small learner, a good practice/beater bass for someone wanting light and portable, or maybe a base/bass? for a project.

I will include a 'tired' Rockbag soft case and will pack well. Looking for £50 plus P&P at cost. Can send more pics.

Shaker

Edited by Shaker

This is a bargain, and with a little work these little beasties can take on the world:

I did my first ever gig with one of these (and I think the only thing I had modified at the time was the bridge).

Neepheid is right, they are nice basses. My hands are used to a double bass and a 6 string bass, so a short scale bass just feels too small for me.

For clarity, the condition is good for a well used 6 year old Squier bass selling for £50. It has some scratches and has been well used, but is not trashed. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being firewood and 10 being immaculate, I would put it at about a 7-8.

Sorry, if it seems that I am messing around but I have also looked at the gig bag. It is in much better condition than I recalled so I don't want to include that in the asking price. I will take £10 for it, or if you don't want it, the postage will probably be less.

Shaker

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='neepheid' post='428467' date='Mar 8 2009, 11:13 AM']This is a bargain, and with a little work these little beasties can take on the world:

I did my first ever gig with one of these (and I think the only thing I had modified at the time was the bridge).[/quote]

That looks superb!

What's the weight/neckdive like on these little basses?

[quote name='flip' post='439014' date='Mar 19 2009, 10:47 AM']That looks superb!

What's the weight/neckdive like on these little basses?[/quote]

It's pretty light being physically smaller and all that, and despite my installing of full size open gear tuners there is no neck dive. The strap button is level with the 12th fret approx, same as on a P or a J and thus is in proportion.

The only thing left for me to do is to drill for through body stringing and then I'll be done. As it currently is the strings are pretty flappy, you get a lot of fret clang when you play even moderately hard. Plus the bridge I put on was designed for through body, the top loading is a bodge on my part (I drilled holes in the back of the bridge next to the intonation screws :) ) There's not a lot of break angle over the bridge saddles that way, so I'm guessing that through body stringing will tighten things up a bit.

This is the closest I'll get to a Mustang/Musicmaster - I'm not paying silly prices, and I've had a lot of fun modding this one.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='neepheid' post='428467' date='Mar 8 2009, 12:13 PM']This is a bargain, and with a little work these little beasties can take on the world:

I did my first ever gig with one of these (and I think the only thing I had modified at the time was the bridge).[/quote]
That's a neat bass. Currently obsessing about the sound of short-scales (played a mustang RI in a shop yesterday ... woo! ) and that might be a route I take.

Andy