Why become a member? ×

Power conditioners: Samson, Furman or other?

KASH

[quote name='KASH' post='423321' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:37 PM']Thinking about getting one for my rack. I've checked the Samson PS10 and Furman MX-8, both quite cheap. Are they any good? Any recommendations on other models or brands? Not looking to spend a fortune though. :)

Cheers![/quote]

Why do you think you need one?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='423339' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:52 PM']The lights! The lights![/quote]

:) not really but it might help though! I know we're quite alright in the UK but i'll also use it as a power strip, in this case it would be a 'protected' power strip. Does anyone own one of these or other that want to recommend?

You need to decide whether you want to standardise on IEC or 13-Amp as your preferred mains connector.

If you go to IEC you can get a 1U unit with plenty of outlets however it means:

- you have to change the connectors on all of your mains leads o buy additional ones
- you can't use 13-amp wall warts without making some IEC to 13A socket adaptors and mounting them
- you can't plug anything else into it unless it has an IEC plug

If you go to 13A you can get 1 1U unit with /8 outlets however it means

- it sits in the back of your rack and just works
- you don't have any pretty lights but you have an extra 1U in the front of rack
- you can plug in wall-worts
- you can plug in anything that as a UK standard mains lead

[quote name='obbm' post='423375' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:23 PM']You need to decide whether you want to standardise on IEC or 13-Amp as your preferred mains connector.

If you go to IEC you can get a 1U unit with plenty of outlets however it means:

- you have to change the connectors on all of your mains leads o buy additional ones
- you can't use 13-amp wall warts without making some IEC to 13A socket adaptors and mounting them
- you can't plug anything else into it unless it has an IEC plug

If you go to 13A you can get 1 1U unit with /8 outlets however it means

- it sits in the back of your rack and just works
- you don't have any pretty lights but you have an extra 1U in the front of rack
- you can plug in wall-worts
- you can plug in anything that as a UK standard mains lead[/quote]

Thanks, that's quite insightful! 13a is a 'normal' power strip right? Is there some sort of 'enhaced' version you would recommend? I thought i could use a power conditioner/ strip as a 'normal' power strip and just plug stuff in?!? :)

[quote name='KASH' post='423397' date='Mar 2 2009, 04:37 PM']Thanks, that's quite insightful! 13a is a 'normal' power strip right? Is there some sort of 'enhaced' version you would recommend? I thought i could use a power conditioner/ strip as a 'normal' power strip and just plug stuff in?!? :)[/quote]

I don't know if this is a concern for you or not... power conditioners are actually quite heavy... a big consideration if you have a rack full of stuff.

[quote name='KASH' post='423321' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:37 PM']Thinking about getting one for my rack. I've checked the Samson PS10 and Furman MX-8, both quite cheap. Are they any good? Any recommendations on other models or brands? Not looking to spend a fortune though. :)[/quote]

B&Q do some nice lightweight ones that fit in the back of a rack and take four 13A mains plugs whilst being surge-protected.

Alex

[quote name='KASH' post='423321' date='Mar 2 2009, 03:37 PM']Thinking about getting one for my rack. I've checked the Samson PS10 and Furman MX-8, both quite cheap. Are they any good? Any recommendations on other models or brands? Not looking to spend a fortune though. :)

Cheers![/quote]

got three or four for sale - 2 ART and a few Behr, see link below:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=20370"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=20370[/url]

The ART have full protection while the Behr are dist only. All male/ female connections already made up and will throw them in.

pm if interested