Why become a member? ×

Cheap High-Spec DIY Power Supply

Cathode_Follower

I've been wanting to build a high quality power brick for a while, and seem to have a lot of time on my hands at present so decided to pull the trigger.

Spec would be 8 x fully isolated and regulated 9v outputs each capable of supplying at least 200mA. Back-of-envelope calculation puts the total project cost at somewhere around £70, roughly half of what you'd pay for a retail unit with similar features

To achieve this I would like to order a WPDLXFMR-2 from Weber in the US (https://www.tedweber.com/wpdlxfmr-2) very reasonably priced at $25. However, delivery to the UK for a single transformer comes out at $80..!

Are there any DIY-ers who'd also be interested in embarking on one of these power supplies? If so we can bulk-order a bunch of these Webers and bring the unit price down to something reasonable.

I think we would need at least 5 of us to get the project cost down to the £70 stated above, but the more the merrier of course.

Edited by Cathode_Follower

20 minutes ago, Cathode_Follower said:

Both!

Also I like the security of being able to over-engineer the bejeezus out of something and know that it's never going to die on you at an inconvenient moment. If it does die it's also far easier to repair if you made it yourself.

Ah that's fine. Was going to recommend a good one for about the same price new. But nowhere near as much fun, and as you say you get to choose the components this way. 

I had a tuner, boost and EQ plugged up and all was well. I then bought 2x TC pedals (HoF2 and Flashback2) and one was plugged into a switched output (and was fine) but the one on the non-switchable outlet wasn't working properly. After a chat with a knowledgeable fellow I tried the other TC pedal on the other switched output and bingo, it worked perfectly! He said this is not uncommon and a grey area.

YMMV, etc but just a heads up   

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

They are isolated. I watched a guy take one apart and run a meter over it

Fair enough! I had assumed that if there was a total combined current rating for the outputs then they couldn't all be running from dedicated switching supplies. Shows how much I know about such things!

There's a note on the Thomann product page saying that the total load cannot exceed 18W. So you can exceed neither the stated 300/500mA from any single output, nor 2000mA in total (assuming you are running only 9v pedals - less if you are using higher voltages on the switchable outputs). But they are all isolated outs!

• Like 2