Why become a member? ×

All that nonsense about the noise at work regs ..

xilddx

[b]Very interesting... [/b]

Real life experiences

The following statements are from our supporters, and do not necessarily reflect the views of HSE.
Paul Gray, rock guitarist, Musicians' Union Regional Officer, Wales & SW England

Paul Gray, rock guitaristI spent over 20 years touring and recording internationally as bass guitarist with Eddie & the Hot Rods, The Damned and UFO. Eighteen of them were tinnitus free. When I realised my ears were still ringing 2 weeks after a tour had finished, I saw a doctor who referred me to the Audiology Department at University Hospital Wales. The tests showed I had significant hearing loss, tinnitus and the onset of hyperacusis. Against their advice I continued touring, during which time the tinnitus levels rapidly reached such high levels in both ears that I was unable to sleep or concentrate. Additionally hyperacusis rapidly precluded me from going to pubs, restaurants etc, performing onstage became stressful (even with the earplugs available at that time), everyday noises seemed excessively unpleasant and I had to concede defeat.

Changing a successful career as a musician was a hard decision to make but I had no choice. Had suitable earplugs been available (eg with a protection factor of 30 dB), I would not be in the situation I am now, having to wear ear protection for everyday life, not least whenever my 2 year old boy gets noisy - which is pretty often! The implications of permanent noise damage go far beyond the working environment - 24 hours a day ringing in both ears, hearing loss, sensitivity to normal noises. And I was one of those who never thought I'd get problems!