Why become a member? ×

A/B Both pedal with dual inputs & four outputs - is it possible???

bassplayer88

Hi,

I'm trying to find or custom order or possibly even make a A/B Both and Tuner Mute pedal with dual inputs & four outputs. Is this even possible!?!?
Ill explain what I need, hope its not too boring!

The pedal would have two inputs lets say A and B.

The pedal would have four outputs Output A, Output B, Amp Out, and Tuner.

There would be 3 pedals.

[b]A/B[/b] - Would select between the two inputs.

If Input A is selected it would output through Output A and Amp Out. Input B would not output anywhere.

If Input B is selected it would output through Output B and Amp Out. Input A would not output anywhere.

[b]Both[/b] - If both is selected the signals output from their respective outputs separately but from the Amp OUT combined.
[b]
Tuner Mute[/b] - If tuner is selected all outputs are killed except the Tuner.

Is this possible, does anybody know anyone who could help?!?!

Thanks

BP

Sorry bassplayer88 but I can't understand exactly what the "Both" footswith should do:

[quote][b]Both[/b] - If both is selected the signals output from their respective outputs separately but from the Amp OUT combined.[/quote]

Input A ---> Out A
Input B ---> Out B
Input A+InputB ---> Amp Out

Is it this what you had in mind?

What do would you like to send to the Tuner when the "Tuner" footswitch is activated? In.A + In.B?

Edited by Silent Fly

I thought to some possible solutions but when In.A and In.B are mixed to be sent to the "out amp" you will end up with some signal leak between In.A and In.B.

In other words, if "both" is activated, part of In.A will go to Out.B and vice versa. I can’t see a solution to this unless you use an active circuit.

Silent Fly

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='418638' date='Feb 24 2009, 07:40 PM']Sorry bassplayer88 but I can't understand exactly what the "Both" footswith should do:

Input A ---> Out A
Input B ---> Out B

Is it this what you had in mind?

What do would you like to send to the Tuner when the "Tuner" footswitch is activated? In.A + In.B?[/quote]

Yeah in the "Both" state it would be like you said

Input A ---> Out A
Input B ---> Out B

Im guessing the tuner would go last. As I'd want whatever was going out of the Amp out (either A or B or Both)before tuner switch was pressed to go out of the tuner. This is because id also be using the tuner line as a cue switch (headphone amp) for tweaking sounds and working out lines mid song.
I'm trying to sort this out for a improvising dubstep band i'm working with.

Hope you can advise
;)

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='418669' date='Feb 24 2009, 08:38 PM']In other words, if "both" is activated, part of In.A will go to Out.B and vice versa. I can’t see a solution to this unless you use an active circuit.[/quote]

The Amp Out was an after thought as we're planning on using DIs though a combined system for ease of transport. If you can do it without going active loosing the Amp Out is definitely an option as it isn't an essential part of the system.

How would it work if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again

[quote name='ahpook' post='418644' date='Feb 24 2009, 07:56 PM']i'm sure the nice people at [url="http://www.redonionsolutions.co.uk"]red onion[/url] would be able to help[/quote]

either red onion needs to improve its search ranking or I need to go on a course on how to use search engines properly.

Ive been looking for a UK based company like that for ages!!

Thanks

[quote name='bassplayer88' post='418702' date='Feb 24 2009, 08:14 PM']either red onion needs to improve its search ranking or I need to go on a course on how to use search engines properly.

Ive been looking for a UK based company like that for ages!!

Thanks[/quote]

i think i originally found them through ebay.

i've got one of their effect loop pedals and they also made me a pedal for my ampeg.

great service.

Ok - I managed to design a solution. It should work.

There are two important things to notice:

1. The mixing circuit is active. If you can live with the leak beetween A and B you can substitute the two buffers (that in theory should have a small gain) with two wires.

2. If you don't need leds to indicate the positions you can build it with 3PDT (aka true-bypass) switches. If you want leds, you need 4PDT switches. They are not cheap but they do the trick.

3. The tuner out is always active. As you can see it is wired to the Amp Out before the mute switch. I hope it is acceptable.

[attachment=21030:ab_amp_t...r_switch.gif]

I hope this helps. If you are in trouble with the building or you need someone that built it for you drop me a PM.

Silent Fly

Edited by Silent Fly

If you could live without the Amp Out, it's simple and can be accomplished with indicators for all three switches by using a pack of these

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220332607737"]3 pole double throw footswitch, three-pack[/url]

and if that's expired, searching ebay for "footswitch 3" will do it. The circuit is easy enough, in each case you use two poles of the switch for the switching function and one pole for the indicator.