Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 210 or 115

Clockworkwar

I know this has probably been done a million times, but the search function never works for me.

I play a P bass, I play mostly motown/stax music with some 70's disco music thrown in. It is mostly finger style but I use some pick/slap work.

I will run the cab through an Ashdown MAG 250 head.

Chances are eventually I will have both cabs, but which one should I get first (the 115 is the one most avaliable second hand)?

also does a MAG 210 sound much different to an ABM?

[quote name='Clockworkwar' post='416824' date='Feb 22 2009, 07:07 PM']also does a MAG 210 sound much different to an ABM?[/quote]

FWIW. I went and tried a MAG115 and an ABM115 and was amazed how different they sounded. I played around with 3 different amps, the ABM500, MAG500 and LG350 and was unimpressed with the sound of the MAG cabinet.

In the end, I picked up an Ashdown Classic Neo Mini 15 Cabinet off Soundslive for £330 (special offer price), only £20 more than the ABM115, but lighter and made in the UK.

As for the difference between a 210 and a 115- Dunno. ;)

For the music you've said you'll be playing, I suspect that the 115 will suit your needs better. A 2x10 cabinet will more than likely have more high end frequency response, but for boom and bass, the 115 will definitely win.

The ABM cabs are generally held in higher regard than the MAG lines, although you might find you prefer the sound of one over the other. Ideally you'd be able to try both out, side by side, but alas, this isn't always possible!